Kisir (Turkish Bulgur Salad)
Kisir is a Turkish bulgur salad that is very easy to make and full of flavor. It has a zingy and slightly spicy taste and is perfect for anyone who loves a quick and healthy bulgur or couscous salad.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 ½ cup fine-grind bulgur wheat alternative: couscous
- 3 cups water
- 6 tbsp red pepper paste alternative: tomato paste
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tomato seeded and diced
- ¼ cucumber diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 2 cups leafy greens e.g. spinach, arugula, romaine lettuce
- 1 cup spring onion
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup lemon juice fresh
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Boil the water. Next, add the bulgur wheat to a bowl and add the boiling water. Cover the bowl with a dish cloth and let the bulgur sit to absorb the water.
In the meantime, prepare the vegetables by washing and chopping them. Juice the lemon.
The bulgur wheat should be cooked through by now. Fluff it with a fork. Then, add the red pepper paste, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to the bulgur wheat and mix until everything is well combined.
Now, add the vegetables, lemon juice and olive oil to the bulgur wheat. Mix everything, check if you need more salt and pepper or red pepper flakes and enjoy!
- If you can't find fine-ground bulgur wheat, use couscous instead. Just make sure you don't use coarse-grind bulgur as it has a completely different texture and taste. Adjust the amount of water as stated in the package instructions.
- Adjust the amount of lemon juice to your taste. Kisir usually is quite lemony, but feel free to use less!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 584mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1411IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2mg