Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup
This spicy Mexican chicken soup is a super easy one-pot dish that has tons of flavor and tastes amazing. The recipe is perfect for busy days as it doesn't require much cooking or preparation. Just let the soup cook on your stovetop and enjoy a healthy and delicious meal!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper or serrano pepper minced
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 15 ounce-can black beans
- 1 15 ounce-can corn
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups tomato passata
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- toppings, e.g. fresh cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, lime wedges for serving optional
Preheat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Then, sauté the onion, garlic and jalapeño pepper until the onion is translucent.
Add the remaining ingredients to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 25 minutes.
Next, take the chicken breast out of the pot and shred it using two forks. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot.
Add more spices if needed. Serve with your favorite toppings and lime wedges. Enjoy!
- Make it less spicy: I think that most people should be fine with using a jalapeño pepper and the spices as stated in the recipe. But, if you don't like spicy foods, feel free to skip the jalapeño pepper and add the chili powder to taste. Additionally, you can serve the soup with lime wedges, which helps to reduce the heat.
- Make it spicier: If you love spicy foods, I recommend using serrano pepper instead of jalapeño pepper. After the soup has cooked, you can add cayenne pepper and/or more chili powder to make the soup even spicier.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 441kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 590mg | Potassium: 1296mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1949IU | Vitamin C: 60mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 4mg