Turmeric rice is an aromatic side dish that goes well with various main dishes. It is a flavorful and delicious twist on classic rice. Plus, it is super quick and easy to make!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ onion finely diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup basmati rice rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the olive oil and butter in a pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion turns translucent.
Next, add the rice, turmeric, bay leaf, chicken or vegetable broth, and salt and pepper to the pot. Stir everything. Then bring the broth to a boil, cover the pot, reduce the heat and let the rice simmer for around 15 minutes.
After simmering, let the rice sit for 5-10 minutes without taking off the lid. Then take out the bay leaf and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve and enjoy!
- Cooking time and water ratio: If you don't use basmati rice, check the label for cooking instructions as cooking time and the correct amount of water you'll need might vary.
- Rinse the rice: Make sure you rinse the rice thoroughly to get rid of the starch. This ensures that the rice doesn't become gooey.
- Don't take off the lid: While the rice cooks, try to be patient and don't take off the lid as this lets the steam escape the pot.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 233kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 36mg | Potassium: 91mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 127IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg