This herbed potato salad with mustard vinaigrette is a super simple, flavorful, and refreshing salad! It is packed with nutritious ingredients and can be served alongside a variety of main dishes.
Summer is one of my favorite seasons as it is perfect for whipping up simple and delicious salads like this cabbage kidney bean salad, balsamic lentil salad, and pesto spaghetti salad, which I absolutely love.
And this herbed potato salad with mustard vinaigrette is definitely part of the list of salads I love to make regularly during summer! It is super simple, nutritious, refreshing, and tastes incredibly delicious.
Mustard Potato Salad Ingredients
To make this herbed mustard potato salad, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Potatoes: I recommend using yellow potatoes to make this potato salad. But feel free to use another type of potato if that’s what you prefer.
- Lettuce: You can use any type of lettuce for this dish. I love to use romaine lettuce but other types of leafy greens work just as great!
- Radishes: You’ll need regular radishes for this mustard potato salad recipe. They go super well with the other ingredients in this recipe, so make sure to not skip them!
- Red onion: Other types of onion work too, but I’d recommend using red onion. Their flavor is just perfect for making a delicious summer potato salad!
- Fresh herbs: A combination of dill, chives, and parsley is needed for the best flavor! I tried different combinations for this salad and these three are perfect for making a potato salad that tastes flavorful and delicious.
- Red pepper flakes: Red pepper flakes add a tiny amount of heat that really elevates the flavor of this mustard potato salad. So make sure to use them!
- Homemade mustard lemon vinaigrette: For the homemade mustard lemon vinaigrette you’ll need extra virgin olive oil, lemons, Dijon mustard, and maple syrup.
How to make this herbed mustard potato salad
To make this herbed potato salad with mustard vinaigrette, you’ll only need to follow these steps:
- Boil the potatoes: Place the potatoes in a pot and cover them with water. Salt the water, cover the pot, bring the water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let the potatoes cook for about 20 minutes until tender.
- Chop the ingredients: In the meantime, you can prepare and chop the remaining salad ingredients.
- Make the dressing: Next, add all vinaigrette ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- Prepare the potatoes: When the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and place them in cold water until they have cooled off. Then peel and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine: Now combine the potatoes, salad ingredients, and dressing in a large bowl. Toss until combined. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips & Notes
Before trying this mustard potato salad recipe, make sure to check out the following notes:
- Adjust the amount of mustard you use. One teaspoon of mustard is barely noticeable but adds a delicious flavor to the salad. Two teaspoons taste more intense and the mustard can definitely be noticed without being overpowering. And if you want a quite strong mustard flavor, feel free to use even more for the salad dressing.
- Let the potatoes cool in cold water before you use them. The potatoes are perfect when they are at room temperature, so make sure to give them a few minutes until they aren’t hot anymore.
- If you prepare this herbed potato salad in advance, don’t combine the ingredients and dressing yet. The lettuce can become soggy, so it’s best to combine everything shortly before serving. Just store the dressing separately and add it before you want to enjoy this herbed potato salad.
I wouldn’t change too much about this salad as the combination of ingredients is really great. But here are a few things you may change depending on your personal preferences.
- Vinegar: I love to use lemon juice whenever I make potato salads but white wine vinegar actually tastes great with this salad! So if you prefer vinegar over lemon juice, feel free to use it. Just make sure to adjust the amount of vinegar you use.
- Vegetables: Depending on how I plan to serve this salad, I like to add more vegetables. You could use thinly sliced cucumbers, bell peppers, or even pickles to add some more veg to this dish.
- Herbs: I absolutely love the combination of dill, parsley, and chives. But if you really don’t like one of these herbs, feel free to skip it. Just make the salad with the herbs you like. It’s still going to taste great. And if you like all of them, I’d encourage you to not skip any of them!
How to serve this mustard potato salad
You can serve this herbed mustard potato salad alongside a variety of main dishes. Here are a few ideas for you:
- Salmon: Simple pan-seared or air-fried salmon goes super well with this salad! It’s one of my favorite combinations if I want to whip up a quick, delicious, and nutritious dinner.
- Chicken: Another favorite is making my parmesan-crusted chicken and serving it with this herbed mustard potato salad. It’s a super delicious combination!
- Bratwurst: Potato salads and bratwurst were just meant to be. It’s a classic combination that never disappoints!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you use only one teaspoon, it’s barely noticeable and only adds a very delicate flavor. Two teaspoons make the mustard flavor more noticeable without being overpowering. And more than that makes the mustard taste quite strong. So feel free to adjust the amount you use to your liking when you try this recipe!
It’s quite mild. Only the mustard and red pepper flakes add a very small amount of heat. So if you want to avoid any heat, you may want to skip the red pepper flakes. But I wouldn’t worry about the salad being spicy if you can handle a tiny amount of red pepper flakes.
You can store this potato salad in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 3-5 days. If you know in advance that you might want to store some of it, I’d recommend saving some of the salad and storing it before adding the mustard lemon vinaigrette.
More simple and flavorful side dishes
If you love delicious sides, I highly recommend checking out the following recipes. They are super simple and taste really great!
- German Potato Salad
- Batata Harra (Spicy Potatoes)
- Turkish Dill Potato Salad
- Fried Potatoes and Onions
- Italian-Inspired Pasta Salad
Herbed Potato Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup radishes thinly sliced
- ½ medium-sized red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons sliced chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes more to taste
Mustard Lemon Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard see notes
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover them with water. Salt the water, cover the pot, and bring the water to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and let the potatoes cook for about 20 minutes until tender.
- In the meantime, prepare the salad ingredients and mustard lemon vinaigrette by whisking together all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool down in cold water. Then peel the potatoes and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Now transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Add the salad ingredients and mustard vinaigrette. Toss until combined. Enjoy!
- Mustard: Use 1 teaspoon for a mild and more neutral taste. Use 2 teaspoons if you want a stronger and more noticeable flavor. I love to use 2 teaspoons in this salad.
Leave a Reply