Lentil Potato Soup
This vegan lentil potato soup is super healthy, delicious, and very easy to make! Serve it with crusty bread on the side for a warming and satiating meal on cold days!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 2 celery stalks finely diced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ¼ lb potatoes peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 cup lentils green or brown
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 handfuls baby spinach or kale
Preheat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Then sauté the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery until the onion turns translucent.
Add the tomato paste, spices, and salt & pepper to the pot. Sauté for 1 more minute.
Add the potatoes, lentils, vegetable broth, and bay leaf to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 25-30 minutes until the potatoes and lentils are tender.
When the soup has finished cooking, take out the bay leaf. Then, use an immersion blender to partially blend the soup (optional). Blend until the broth has the right consistency. If the soup is too thick, add more water or vegetable broth.
Stir in the spinach or kale and check if you need to add more salt and pepper. Enjoy!
- Broth: I recommend blending the soup with an immersion blender as this thickens the broth and makes it more flavorful. But if you don't have an immersion blender or a regular blender, feel free to skip this step! The soup will still be delicious.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 401kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1522mg | Potassium: 1402mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 7667IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 6mg