This vegan lentil potato soup is a delicious, healthy, and warming soup that is perfect on those cold days! It is hearty, filling, and has tons of flavor. Plus, you can easily make a large batch of this soup to feed your family or meal prep.
There are many different ways to make a delicious lentil soup. While my Mediterranean spiced lentil soup has a tomato-based broth that focuses on the flavor of paprika and Italian spices, this easy lentil potato soup has a milder, yet very aromatic flavor. Spices like curry powder, paprika powder, and ground cumin, combined with tomato paste and bay leaves give this soup tons of flavor and make it super delicious!
And there are more great things I love about this recipe. It is very easy to make (perfect for weeknight dinner), it is very filling, and it is super nutritious. So if you want to cook with lentils and make soup, try this lentil potato soup. It is amazing!
To make this lentil potato soup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Lentils: Green or brown lentils work best with this recipe.
- Potatoes: Both Yukon Gold and Russet potatoes work well. Go for the type of potato you usually use.
- Vegetables: Carrot, celery, onion, and garlic form the base of this soup. Baby spinach and kale are healthy and delicious greens that add texture. Don’t skip any of these ingredients as they make this lentil potato soup so delicious.
- Tomato paste, spices and herbs: Tomato paste, curry powder, paprika powder, ground cumin, and bay leaves make this soup so special. Please don’t skip any of these ingredients as they are necessary to make a flavorful lentil potato soup.
- Vegetable broth: I recommend using vegetable broth instead of water. But you can use water if you don’t have any vegetable broth at hand.
How to make this easy lentil potato soup
This lentil potato soup is super easy to make! I love to make it for dinner as it doesn’t require fancy cooking techniques or much time. Simply follow these steps:
- Sauté: Preheat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Then sauté the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery until the onion turns translucent. Add the tomato paste and spices to the pot, and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Simmer: Add the potatoes, lentils, vegetable broth, and bay leaf to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 25-30 minutes until the potatoes and lentils are tender.
- Blend: When the soup has finished cooking, take out the bay leaf. Then, use an immersion blender to partially blend the soup (optional). Blend until the broth has the right consistency. If the soup is too thick, add more water or vegetable broth.
- Serve: Stir in the spinach or kale, check if you have to season with more salt and pepper, garnish (optional) and serve!
Serving this vegan lentil potato soup
The lentil potato soup is very filling and you don’t necessarily need any sides. But I sometimes love to serve some extra sides. Here is what I usually do:
- Serve bread: Soup and bread simply belong together! Serve your favorite bread with this soup and enjoy!
- Garnish: You can garnish this soup with fresh herbs and grated parmesan cheese. It tastes amazing!
- Make a side salad: The soup is made with loads of vegetables, but I sometimes love to serve a side salad when I make this soup for my family. It tastes great and adds more vegetables to your plate! I usually go for a simple arugula salad with shaved parmesan cheese.
Soups are perfect for meal prep as they can be stored in the refrigerator and freezer without losing flavor. Here is how you best store this soup:
- Refrigerator: Store the soup for up to 5 days in your refrigerator in a sealed storage container.
- Freezer: Store the soup in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
More delicious vegan soup recipes
There is nothing better than having soup on a freezing cold day! If you need more soup recipes that you can add to your cooking rotation, try one of the following recipes.
- Creamy Carrot Potato Soup
- Potato Leek Soup
- Vegetable Lentil Soup
- Sweet Potato Pumpkin Soup
- Turkish Lentil Soup
Lentil Potato Soup
- Immersion blender or regular blender (optional)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 2 celery stalks finely diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ¼ lb potatoes peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 cup lentils green or brown
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 handfuls baby spinach or kale
- Preheat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Then sauté the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the tomato paste, spices, and salt & pepper to the pot. Sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add the potatoes, lentils, vegetable broth, and bay leaf to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 25-30 minutes until the potatoes and lentils are tender.
- When the soup has finished cooking, take out the bay leaf. Then, use an immersion blender to partially blend the soup (optional). Blend until the broth has the right consistency. If the soup is too thick, add more water or vegetable broth.
- Stir in the spinach or kale and check if you need to add more salt and pepper. Enjoy!
- Broth: I recommend blending the soup with an immersion blender as this thickens the broth and makes it more flavorful. But if you don’t have an immersion blender or a regular blender, feel free to skip this step! The soup will still be delicious.