This hearty vegetable lentil soup is a classic vegetarian soup recipe that is made for those cold winter days! It is full of nutritious vegetables, very satiating, easy to prepare and simply delicious.
Nothing beats a warming and delicious bowl of soup during winter time! This vegetable lentil soup is one of my favorites as it is not only delicious, hearty, and perfect for cozy days at home, but it is also healthy, packed with nutrients and has an amazing amount of plant-based protein. Plus, I love that this lentil soup is vegan which means that everyone can enjoy this amazing soup. Because it really is delicious and very healthy.
I usually stick with recipes that don’t require too many ingredients. I want them to be simple, delicious and healthy. But for this vegetable lentil soup recipe, you’ll need a few more ingredients. The reason is that we want this soup to have tons of flavor. And loads of healthy veggies. So we need to add a few spices and vegetables. The good news: the ingredients are easy to get in most grocery stores. And making this soup is definitely worth it! Here is what you’ll need:
- Lentils. Green or brown lentils work best for this soup. I used brown lentils.
- Vegetables. This vegetable lentil soup calls for onion, celery, carrot, garlic and kale.
- Tomato paste. Definitely add tomato paste to intensify the flavor of this delicious soup.
- Spices. Paprika powder, curry powder, dried basil and dried thyme are the spices that make this soup so delicious. You can substitute dried basil and dried thyme with Italian seasoning if you want to.
- Diced tomatoes. A can of diced tomatoes creates the base for this soup’s delicious broth.
- Vegetable broth. You could also use a mix of water and vegetable broth if you don’t want to open a second container of vegetable broth (you need 6 cups of vegetable broth) and have leftovers.
- Lemon. A little lemon goes a long way! Definitely don’t skip the fresh lemon juice. It balances out the flavors and makes this soup extra amazing!
How to make this vegetable lentil soup
Preparing this vegan lentil soup is the easiest thing ever! Just follow these simple steps:
- Sauté the vegetables. Preheat a pot with olive oil over medium heat. Then, add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add spices. Next, add the spices, salt and pepper and tomato paste and sauté for 1 minute to toast the spices.
- Add liquids, lentils and simmer. Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes and lentils. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 30-40 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Blend. To make a creamy and flavorful soup base, partly blend the soup with an immersion blender. You decide how chunky or creamy you want the soup to be.
- Add in the rest and serve. Add the kale and lemon juice, add more salt and pepper if needed and serve.
This soup is very satiating which means you don’t necessarily need bread on the side or additional protein. But, you can definitely garnish this soup to make it even more delicious! Here are some of my favorites:
- Red pepper flakes. There is no way that I write a soup recipe without mentioning my beloved red pepper flakes. I add them to a lot of my dishes and recipes. They always add a hint of spiciness and taste amazing. Definitely try them!
- Parsley. This vegetable lentil soup has all the delicious Mediterranean flavors, so why not add some parsley? It goes super well with the soup.
- Parmesan. If you want the soup to have more creaminess and some cheesy goodness, add grated parmesan on top of the soup. It tastes delish!
This vegetable lentil soup is perfect for meal prep and can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer without losing its flavor!
- Refrigerator: You can store this vegan lentil soup up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Freezer: The vegetable lentil soup can be stored in the freezer for several months.
More delicious and warming soups and stews
Soups and stews are a must make on rainy or cold days! Here is a list of delicious soups and stews. They are either vegan/vegetarian or they can easily be modified so they are vegan.
Vegetable Lentil Soup
- Immersion blender
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice more to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic to the pot. Sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Next, add the tomato paste, spices, and salt and pepper and sauté for 1 minute to toast the spices.
- Add the canned tomatoes, vegetable broth and lentils to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, then cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 30-40 minutes, until the lentils are soft.
- To make the soup more creamy and flavorful, use an immersion blender and partly blend the soup.
- Add the kale and lemon juice. Check if you want to add more salt and pepper and serve the soup.
- You can substitute dried basil and dried thyme with Italian seasoning.