Whenever I want to eat something that gives me that cozy at home feeling, I love to make this cozy chicken soup! It is all one would want from a soup: it is savory, full of different flavors, warming and, most importantly, it is extremely healthy!
My favorite part of this soup must be the broth. It has a super flavorful and delicious taste because of the different ingredients used in this recipe, such as celery, leeks, chicken thighs and bay leaves.
Also, I always use chicken bone broth to make this tasty chicken soup. It not only adds a rich flavor to the soup, it also makes it super healthy! It is a great source of collagen and several vitamins and minerals like iron, zinc, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin D. Consuming bone broth has multiple health benefits like keeping your gut healthy, improving sleep, being good for your joints, strengthening your bones and supporting your immune system.
How is bone broth prepared? Bone broth is made by simmering the bones and connective tissues of animals for 12-24 hours. Due to the long cooking time of these parts, the final result is a rich, tasty broth that is packed with nutrients. Bone broth can be made from different animals, such as chicken, beef or pork.
You can either make the bone broth yourself or choose the more convenient option and buy your bone broth. Just make sure you buy bone broth that was made from organic animals. There are many different brands out there, feel free to test which one you like best. Besides using it as a base for soups, you can also drink it or use it to make sauces. There are countless options to include bone broth in your recipes!
So if you love soups that are comforting, aromatic, full of flavor and super healthy, then this crazy delicious chicken soup is perfect for you!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #bitesofberi on instagram. Stay fit, friends!
Cozy Chicken Soup
- 1.25 lb. chicken drumsticks or thighs with bones and skin
- 1 onion medium
- 3 carrots medium to large
- 1 lb. potatoes
- 0.5 lb. leeks
- 3 celery sticks
- 5 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- Start by peeling (optional) and cutting all of the ingredients.
- Heat the pot you will use for the soup with avocado oil. Then add the onions and saute them for about 1 minute. Add the chicken, some salt and pepper and saute for 5 more minutes.
- When your chicken starts to get some color, add all of the other ingredients and the bone broth.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then let the soup simmer with low heat for approx. 20 minutes.
- Take out the chicken and shred the meat into small pieces. Discard the bones and the skin. Then add the chicken back into the soup.
- Taste the chicken soup and add more salt and pepper according to your taste.