This veggie tofu stir fry combines healthy and fresh vegetables with crispy tofu and a super flavorful stir fry sauce. It is one of my go-to recipes for busy days as it is super quick and easy to make, very healthy and just incredibly delicious!
If you want to whip up a quick, delicious and healthy dinner, you have to try this veggie tofu stir fry! This is probably one of my favorite vegetarian (can easily be made vegan) recipes for busy days as it is packed with fresh veggies, protein and lots of flavor. Combined with rice or noodles, this easy tofu stir fry becomes a delicious and satiating meal that is ready in less than 30 minutes.
To make this veggie tofu stir fry, you’ll need following ingredients:
- Extra-firm tofu. Make sure you use extra-firm or firm tofu whenever you make a tofu stir fry. It is perfect for this type of recipe as it becomes crispy when sautéed in a pan.
- Vegetables. The choice is yours! I used carrots and baby spinach, but feel free to add other vegetables.
- Garlic and ginger. These two are a must for making a delicious stir fry.
- Green onion.
- Sesame seeds (optional). They are used for garnish and are optional. But I find they give some crunch and add more texture to the final dish.
- Soy sauce. You can substitute soy sauce with tamari or coconut aminos if you want to.
- Honey. Use a vegan sweetener of choice if you want to make a vegan version of this recipe.
- Vegetable broth (optional). The vegetable broth is added to the stir fry sauce. But you can simply add water if you don’t have vegetable broth.
How to make this easy veggie tofu stir fry
Making this dish is super simple. Just follow these easy steps:
- Cut and press the tofu. This step is super important so the tofu becomes crispy and can absorb all the amazing flavors of this dish! I like to cut the tofu into two slices, wrap it in paper towels and then press until there is no excess moisture left. You can also add heavy items on top of the wrapped tofu and let it sit until there is no moisture left.
- Prepare the stir fry ingredients and stir fry sauce. I really recommend preparing the ingredients and sauce before you start making the stir fry as chopping veggies while making the stir fry can become quite stressful. Just chop the vegetables, grate the ginger, mince the garlic, mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and cut the tofu into small cubes.
- Sauté the tofu. Preheat a pan over medium-high heat with avocado oil. Then add the tofu and sauté until it has some color. Add some of the stir fry sauce to the tofu and sauté a bit more until the tofu has a golden color. Take it out of the pan and set aside.
- Sauté other stir fry ingredients. Now, add more avocado oil to the pan. Sauté the vegetables, garlic and ginger.
- Combine. When the vegetables are soft enough, add the stir fry sauce, let everything simmer for 1-2 minutes, add back the tofu and serve over rice or noodles. Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds. Optional: If you want a thick sauce, prepare a cornstarch slurry (1 teaspoon cornstarch, 2 teaspoon water) and add it to the sauce. Let the sauce simmer until it thickens. Only use as much as you need!
You can serve this stir fry in a lot of different ways. Here are some ideas for you:
- Rice. This one is a classic, but this veggie tofu stir fry and fluffy rice taste great when combined.
- Cauliflower rice. Cauliflower rice is a super delicious low carb alternative to regular rice and tastes great with this tofu stir fry.
- Noodles. You can choose whatever type of noodles you love. I sometimes add spaghetti or soba noodles to make a delicious noodle stir fry.
This veggie tofu stir fry recipe is super versatile and perfect for switching things up. Here are some ideas for modifying this recipe:
- Other vegetables: I love to add different vegetables to this dish. I often add leftover veggies (because we don’t want to waste any delicious vegetables) or seasonal vegetables. My favorites are asparagus, broccoli, bell pepper or mushrooms to create different versions of this veggie tofu stir fry.
- Spice it up: I love spicy foods. If you are like me, then try adding a chile pepper to this dish. Just make sure it doesn’t get too hot. Trust me, that’s no fun.
- Gluten-free/soy-free: You can use tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce for a gluten-free version. If you want a soy-free version use coconut aminos.
More easy and healthy dinner recipes
If you love quick, healthy and delicious dinner recipes, check out the following recipes. They are all super easy to make and taste amazing!
- Teriyaki Salmon
- Ground Beef Stir Fry
- Cold Soba Noodle Salad with Ginger Soy Dressing
- Teriyaki Chicken Bowl
- Coconut Chickpea Curry
Veggie Tofu Stir Fry
Veggie Tofu Stir Fry
- 7 oz extra-firm tofu cut into small cubes
- 1 carrot cut into matchsticks or slices
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil ½ for cooking tofu, ½ for sautéing vegetables
- green onion cut into rings, for garnish
- sesame seeds optional, for garnish
Stir Fry Sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon water or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 ½ teaspoon sriracha
- Cut the tofu in half so you have two tofu slices. Wrap the tofu in paper towels and press to remove excess moisture. Change the paper towels and press again until there is no excess moisture left. Then, cut the two tofu slices into small cubes.
- Chop the vegetables, mince the garlic and grate the ginger.
- Add the stir fry sauce ingredients to a small bowl and mix them.
- Preheat a pan with avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the tofu to the pan and sauté until it has some color. Then, add 1 tablespoon of the stir fry sauce (for 7 oz of tofu, i.e. 2 servings) to the tofu and sauté over medium heat until it has a nice golden color. Take the tofu out of the pan and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan, then add the ginger, garlic and carrot to the pan. Sauté until the carrot softens.
- Now, add the stir fry sauce and let it simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce if you want to (optional). Next, add the baby spinach and mix everything. Add back the tofu, serve over rice or noodles and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
- If you want to thicken the sauce, make a cornstarch slurry using 2 teaspoon of water and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch. Slowly add it to the sauce and let the sauce simmer to thicken. Only use as much as you need!
- Feel free to add more veggies! I love adding mushrooms, zucchini, asparagus or broccoli to this tofu stir fry. Keep in mind that you might need more sauce if you add a lot more vegetables.
- To make this dish vegan, use brown sugar or another sweetener of choice.