This healthy curry chicken salad is a flavorful and easy salad that is perfect for making sandwiches or wraps. It is very easy to make, can be stored in the refrigerator for a quick lunch and is simply delicious!
If you are looking for a quick, easy, healthy and delicious recipe that can be used to create a variety of dishes, you should give this curry chicken salad with greek yogurt a try! It is super flavorful (thank you curry powder and chives), high in protein, tastes amazing and is ready in only 15 minutes. Plus, you can make some extra servings, keep them in the refrigerator and create all kinds of bowls, sandwiches and wraps with this delicious curry chicken salad.
Soo, let’s get into what you’ll need for making this yummy curry chicken salad:
- Chicken breast. The chicken breast is used to make the shredded chicken for the salad. You can also use pre-cooked chicken, like rotisserie chicken.
- Greek yogurt. I like to use greek yogurt as it is lighter than mayo and high in protein. But if you want to add mayo, simply substitute some of the greek yogurt with it.
- Lemon. The lemon is used for making fresh lemon juice, a must in this recipe!
- Curry powder.
- Cashews. You can substitute cashews with other nuts, like sliced almonds.
- Chives. I like to use chives as they don’t taste as strong as green onions or red onions while still giving lots of flavor. But if you actually prefer green onion or red onion, then go for it! You can add them in addition to/instead of the chives.
How to make shredded chicken
To make this delicious curry chicken salad, you’ll need juicy chicken. I like to use shredded chicken, but you can definitely cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. There are two different methods I recommend for preparing the chicken. Just choose one of them.
Method 1: Add salt and pepper to the chicken breast, sear the chicken from one side in a pan over medium heat until it has browned. Then flip it, add some water to the pan, cover it with a lid and let the chicken cook for 5-10 minutes.
Method 2: Add water to a pot, bring it to a boil, add salt and pepper, add the chicken, reduce the heat, cover the pot and let everything simmer for 20-25 minutes.
When the chicken is cooked through, let it cool and shred the chicken with a fork or cut it into pieces.
Bonus Method: This really isn’t a method for cooking the chicken. But you can just buy pre-cooked rotisserie chicken. I like to prepare the shredded chicken myself as I can be sure of how the chicken was raised (and it really is super easy!), but you can definitely just buy it pre-cooked.
How to make this healthy curry chicken salad
I have good news: making the curry chicken salad itself is super effortless! Just follow these steps:
- Prepare the curry sauce. Just add all of the ingredients for the sauce to a large bowl and mix them.
- Add chicken, salad ingredients and mix. Now, add the chicken (and other salad ingredients you might want to add) to the bowl, mix everything and add more salt and pepper if needed.
You can definitely make this salad your own! The options for changing the flavor and texture of this greek yogurt curry chicken salad are endless. I always use this recipe as a base and then I create different combinations depending on how I plan to serve the curry chicken salad. Here are some of my favorite add-ins:
- Shredded carrots.
- Shredded cabbage.
- Red pepper flakes.
This healthy curry chicken salad can be served in lots of different ways! Here are some ideas for you:
- Salad and Bowls: I love to add this chicken salad on top of my lunch salad or as part of a lunch bowl. It is a wonderful addition to make them more delicious, plus this healthy curry chicken salad is an amazing protein source.
- Sandwich: Just use this curry chicken salad to make delicious sandwiches! I love to add some greens and other veggies when I make chicken sandwiches.
- Wraps or lettuce wraps: Another classic for serving this healthy curry chicken salad. Whenever I make a sweet version of this salad, I serve it in lettuce cups. They taste amazing!
More protein salads
If you love quick and healthy salads that are high in protein, you should try one of these recipes! They are super delicious and very easy to make.
More healthy curry recipes
Have a love for curry recipes? I do, too! Here are some of my favorites that I love to make for dinner:
Healthy Curry Chicken Salad
- 1.5 lb chicken breast
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp cashews chopped
- 3 tbsp chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the shredded chicken. Method 1: Add salt and pepper to the chicken breast, sear the chicken from one side in a pan over medium-high heat until it has browned, then flip it, add some water, cover the pan and let it cook for 5-10 minutes (depending on size). Method 2: Add water to a pot, bring it to a boil, add some salt and pepper, then add the chicken, reduce the heat, cover the pot and let the chicken simmer for approx. 20 minutes. When the chicken is cooked through, let it cool and shred it with a fork.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the sauce for the curry chicken salad. Simply add all remaining ingredients to a large bowl and mix.
- Add the shredded chicken to the sauce and mix everything. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- To prepare the chicken, use one of the two methods I provided or simply use pre-cooked chicken, like rotisserie chicken (~ 2.5 cups of shredded chicken for 1.5 lb of uncooked chicken breast). Method 1 gives the chicken more flavor as it is seared, while Method 2 is more effortless. No matter which way you go, the salad tastes great!
- If you don't like shredded chicken, just cut it into pieces.
- You can adjust this curry chicken salad to your taste. For a spicier version, add red pepper flakes. If you want the taste of onion to be stronger, add green onion or red onion instead of/additionally to the chives or just add more chives.
- Add more ingredients to the chicken salad to switch things up! You could add grapes, finely diced or grated apple or celery.