This Indian shrimp curry is a delicious and simple dish that is perfect for a quick dinner. It is super easy to make, yet has tons of flavor! Combined with fresh vegetables and fluffy rice, this recipe makes for a healthy dinner that everyone will love!
This Indian shrimp curry with coconut milk is a quick, easy and healthy recipe that is packed with tons of flavor! It is creamy, spicy, combines crisp vegetables with juicy shrimps, and is incredibly aromatic. This recipe is also great for making a larger batch and then freezing the rest. That way, you will always have a super flavorful and delicious shrimp curry that is waiting for you in your freezer. And the best of all is that you only need 30 minutes to make this super delish curry which makes for an amazing weeknight dinner!
To make this delicious Indian shrimp curry, you need the following ingredients:
- Red bell pepper
- Sugar snap peas
- Chile pepper
- Coconut milk
- Tomato passata
- Spices (garam masala, ground cumin, ground turmeric, ground coriander)
Since the spices are super important for this recipe, make sure that you have all of them when you make this curry. The most important one is probably the garam masala spice. If you have never tried making a curry with it, then now is the time! It has an intense and super aromatic flavor and is one of my favorite Indian spices. Perfect for making a super delicious Indian shrimp curry!
How to make Indian shrimp curry
This is a great recipe for making a healthy and delicious dinner after work! It is very simple to make and is ready to be served in only 30 minutes. Just follow these steps to make this Indian coconut shrimp curry that is rich in flavor and nutrients:
- Marinade shrimps: Simply add the shrimps, the spices and some avocado oil in a bowl and mix everything. Set aside until the shrimps are ready to be seared.
- Prepare the vegetables: Chop the bell pepper, grate the ginger and mince the garlic and chile pepper.
- Sear the shrimps and sauté the vegetables: Now you can sear the shrimps in a pot from both sides. When they are done, take them out of the pot and set them aside. Then, add the vegetables including the ginger and garlic to the pot and sauté everything.
- Simmer: Next, add all remaining ingredients to the pot and let everything simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft enough. Add back the shrimps, add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
These four steps are all it takes to whip up this wonderful Indian shrimp curry with coconut milk!
Tips for you
Here are some more tips for making this tasty coconut shrimp curry:
- Use other vegetables: I love making this curry with red bell pepper and sugar snap peas, but you can add more or other vegetables to the recipe! I actually love to make this curry to clean the refrigerator a bit by using any leftover vegetables! Just be creative and add the vegetables you love.
- Serve with rice: This shrimp curry tastes great with Basmati rice or any other type of rice. Just make the rice first so that it is ready when the curry has cooked.
- Add more chile pepper: The recipe is mild enough for people that usually don’t eat a lot of spicy foods. So, if you want it spicier then simply add more chile pepper.
I would totally suggest making a few extra servings when you cook the recipe, as it is perfect for meal prepping! You can store it in:
- The refrigerator: The curry stays fresh for up to 3 days if stored in the refrigerator.
- The freezer: The curry can be stored in the freezer for 2-3 months. This is my preferred method since it lasts a lot longer and tastes as delicious when defrosted and warmed up!
More shrimp recipes
Here are a few more easy, healthy and tasty shrimp recipes that I love to make:
- Spicy Shrimp Pasta
- Zucchini Noodles with Garlic Shrimp
- Baked Feta Pasta with Shrimp
- Cashew Cajun Shrimp Alfredo
Indian Shrimp Curry
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3.5 oz sugar snap peas
- ½ chile pepper
- 1 tsp ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup tomato passata
- 1 ½ tsp garam masala
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp avocado oil ½ for searing shrimps, ½ for sautéing vegetables
- salt and pepper
- 0.5 lb shrimps
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp avocado oil
- Marinade the shrimps with the ingredients for the shrimp marinade in a bowl. Set the shrimps aside until step 3.
- Prepare the curry ingredients by chopping the red bell paper, mincing the garlic cloves and chile pepper and grating the ginger.
- Heat a pot over medium-high heat using half of the avocado oil. When the pot is hot enough, sear the shrimps from both sides, take them out of the pot and set aside.
- Now add the other half of the avocado oil to the pot and sauté the bell pepper, sugar snap peas, ginger, garlic and chile pepper for a few minutes.
- Next, add the passata, coconut milk and the spices to the pot. Close the pot with the lid and let everything simmer for approx. 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft enough.
- Add back the shrimps, heat everything up, add salt and pepper to taste and serve with rice. Enjoy!