This Cashew Cajun Shrimp Alfredo recipe is a lighter and healthier version of classic shrimp Alfredo pasta, but it is just as delicious! It combines spicy shrimp with a creamy cashew Alfredo sauce, vegetables, and fettuccine. This recipe is an absolute favorite for a quick, healthy, and delicious weeknight dinner!
I love pasta recipes for many reasons. They are super quick and easy to make, taste amazing, and can be very healthy. But, depending on the sauce, pasta can sometimes be very heavy. And that’s why I love this Cashew Cajun Shrimp Alfredo recipe! It turns a super heavy pasta dish (classic Alfredo is made with lots of butter, heavy cream, and cheese) into a delicious, healthy, and light meal. All you need is a vegan cashew Alfredo sauce, juicy shrimp, some vegetables, and your favorite pasta. I absolutely recommend trying this, you won’t be disappointed!
To make this Cajun shrimp Alfredo, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Fettuccine. Fettuccine is the type of pasta that is usually served with Alfredo sauce, but feel free to use any other type of pasta you love!
- Shrimps. I recommend using jumbo shrimp as they tend to be juicier.
- Cajun seasoning. Cajun seasoning is an amazing spice blend that gives the shrimps lots of flavor. You can find it in most grocery stores.
- Vegetables. I used mushrooms and baby spinach as they go super well with this cashew Cajun shrimp pasta Alfredo. Feel free to use other vegetables if you want to.
- Homemade vegan cashew Alfredo sauce. The sauce is super easy to make! Simply follow the steps in this vegan Alfredo sauce recipe. You should be able to find the main ingredients for the sauce (cashews, water, and nutritional yeast) in most grocery stores.
How to make Cajun Shrimp Alfredo
Making Cajun shrimp Alfredo is super simple! Just follow these steps:
- Make the vegan cashew Alfredo sauce. Prepare the sauce according to the instructions you find in this vegan Alfredo sauce recipe. The only thing to remember is that you have to soak the cashews before you can make the sauce. So make sure you don’t forget to do that!
- Cook the pasta. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, then drain and set aside.
- Sear the shrimps. Add some olive oil, Cajun seasoning, and the shrimps to a bowl and mix everything. Next, sear the shrimps in a large pan from both sides until they are cooked through. Take the shrimps out of the pan and set them aside.
- Sauté the vegetables. Sauté the mushrooms in the pan. Then, add the sauce and spinach. If the sauce becomes too thick, add more water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine. When the spinach wilts, add the pasta and shrimps to the pan. Stir everything and enjoy these delicious Cajun shrimp fettuccine Alfredo!
You can easily modify this Cajun shrimp Alfredo recipe according to your taste or dietary needs. Here are some ideas for you:
- Vegetables: I love baby spinach and mushrooms, but feel free to substitute them. You could use cherry tomatoes, zucchini, peas or any other vegetable you love!
- Vegan and Vegetarian: If you want a vegan and vegetarian version, simply skip the shrimps. You could add Cajun seasoning or paprika powder and chili powder to the sauce to make it spicier.
- Gluten-free: Simply use your favorite type of gluten-free pasta to make this Cajun shrimp Alfredo recipe gluten-free.
- Spice it up: If you love spicy foods, try adding some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. It tastes amazing!
More quick and delicious pasta recipes
If you love pasta, I recommend trying one of the following recipes. They are all super easy to make and taste amazing!
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
- Rigatoni Bolognese
- Spicy Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Pesto Spaghetti Salad
- Zucchini Noodles with Garlic Shrimp
Cashew Cajun Shrimp Alfredo
- 12 oz fettucine or pasta of choice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil half for shrimp marinade, half for sautéing mushrooms
- 1 lb shrimps deveined, cleaned and tail removed
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 10 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 ½ cup vegan cashew Alfredo sauce more to taste
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the vegan cashew alfredo according to the recipe instructions. Don't forget to soak the cashews a few hours before you start to cook!
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Then, set the pasta aside.
- Add the shrimps, olive oil, and the cajun seasoning to a bowl. Mix everything. Preheat some olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Sear the shrimps from both sides until they are cooked through. This should take 2-4 minutes for each side, depending on the shrimp size. Then, take the shrimps out of the pan and set them aside. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add more olive oil to the pan and sauté the mushrooms. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Then, add the sauce to the pan. If the sauce is too thick, add some water to thin it. Add the spinach and stir until it wilts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Now, add the shrimps and pasta to the pan. Stir until the pasta is covered with the sauce.
- Vegan and Vegetarian: To make this dish vegan and vegetarian, simply skip the shrimps and add more spices to the sauce. You could use Cajun seasoning, chili powder, or paprika powder.
- Gluten-free: Use gluten-free pasta if you want this dish to be gluten-free.
- Spice it up: Add some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes if you want to make this pasta dish a bit spicier.
- Sauce: Don’t forget to soak the cashews in water for a few hours or overnight!