This vegan Alfredo sauce is one of my favorite sauces to cook with. It is super healthy, very light, and tastes just like classic Alfredo sauce. So even if you are not vegan, you have to try this vegan cashew Alfredo sauce. It is amazing!
There are many reasons why I love this vegan Alfredo sauce. It can be used as a healthy substitute for heavy cream-based sauces and classic Alfredo sauce as it is made with super nutritious ingredients. It is very easy to prepare. It can be stored in the freezer so you always have tasty Alfredo sauce at hand. It is super versatile and can be used in all kinds of recipes. And most importantly, it tastes just as delicious as the classic version!
Seriously, I love this sauce so much. And I’m not even vegan. I just genuinely love how light, healthy and delicious this sauce is. So do me a favor and try it, you’ll love this vegan cashew Alfredo sauce!
To make this vegan and dairy-free Alfredo sauce, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Raw cashews. Raw cashews are one of the main ingredients in this vegan Alfredo sauce. Don’t forget to soak them in water overnight so they are soft enough for your blender.
- Onion and garlic. Onion and garlic give the sauce flavor and make it super delicious!
- Lemon juice. The lemon juice is very important for the flavor of the sauce, so don’t skip it.
- Nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is the secret ingredient that gives this sauce its cheesy flavor. It also provides various nutrients, which makes it perfect for preparing a healthy Alfredo sauce.
How to make this vegan cashew Alfredo sauce
This vegan Alfredo sauce is super easy to make! You only need a high-powdered blender to be able to blend the ingredients into a creamy and smooth sauce. Here are the steps for preparing the vegan cashew Alfredo sauce:
- Soak. Soak the cashews in water overnight. Then drain and rinse them. An alternative is soaking them for 30 minutes in hot water. If you have the time for it, I recommend soaking the cashews overnight as you don’t run the risk of having fine chunks in your sauce due to the cashews not being soft enough for your blender.
- Blend. Add all ingredients to your blender. Blend until the sauce is completely creamy and smooth.
- Use or store. Use the sauce immediately or store it in the refrigerator or freezer for future use.
Ways to use this vegan Alfredo sauce
You can use this dairy-free Alfredo sauce for making various dishes! Here are some ideas for you:
- Pasta: Pasta and Alfredo sauce are a classic and delicious combination. You can create all kinds of pasta Alfredo dishes. I love this Cashew Cajun Shrimp Alfredo recipe and Chicken Broccoli Alfredo recipe. I absolutely recommend trying one of these recipes!
- Casserole: This vegan Alfredo sauce is perfect for casserole recipes! Simply use it with your favorite vegetables and noodles or potatoes for a creamy, healthy, and delicious casserole.
As with most recipes, you can change or add certain ingredients to switch up the flavor of the dish. Here are some ideas for changing the flavor of this vegan cashew Alfredo sauce:
- Spices: Adding spices is a fantastic way to give your sauces a different flavor. I love to add nutmeg or cayenne pepper, depending on the dish I use the sauce for.
- Herbs: I love rosemary or thyme with this sauce! When I serve it with pasta, I often add rosemary to it.
- Garlic: I used two garlic cloves in the recipe, which gives the sauce a garlicky taste without being overpowering. But if you are a huge fan of garlic, feel free to add more to it.
- Nutritional Yeast: Nutritional yeast gives the sauce a cheesy and nutty flavor. Feel free to add more or less of it, depending on the result you are going for.
I love to make this sauce and keep it in the refrigerator or freezer! It is perfect for making quick and healthy pasta dishes or casseroles. Here is how you can store it:
- Refrigerator: You can store the cashew Alfredo sauce in a sealed container for up to one week. The sauce usually thickens in the refrigerator, so add a bit of water if the sauce is too thick.
- Freezer: The sauce can be frozen and then thawed when you are ready to cook with it. You can keep it in your freezer for up to 3 months.
More delicious and healthy vegan recipes
Even if you are not vegan, I absolutely recommend trying one of the following recipes. They are all super healthy and taste amazing!
Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked, drained, and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- ½ onion medium-sized
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Option 1: Soak the cashews in water overnight. Drain and rinse them. Option 2: Soak the cashews in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse them.
- Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend until the sauce is completely creamy. Add more water to thin the sauce if needed.
- Use immediately or store in your refrigerator or freezer for future use.
- Serving size: The recipe yields 2 cups of sauce. I usually need 1/3 to 1/2 cup of sauce per serving, so this recipe should make 4-6 servings.
- Soak time: I recommend soaking the cashews overnight. This way you can be sure that the cashews are soft enough to make a super creamy sauce. But if you forget to soak them or have a very powerful blender, you can soak them for 30 minutes in hot water.
- Cooking: The sauce might thicken when you cook with it. Simply add more water to the sauce when that happens.
- Storage: You can store the sauce in your refrigerator for a week. Or you can freeze it.
- Switch it up: You can easily change the flavor of this sauce. Add extra spices and herbs like nutmeg or rosemary. Or use more/less garlic. And if you want to eliminate the cheesy flavor/want more of it, use less/more nutritional yeast. The recipe as stated should be perfect for most people, but feel free to be creative and modify it!