It is time to share one of my all-time favorite dip recipes with you: this super flavorful and easy pico de gallo recipe. It is soooo delicious and very easy to make! You guys must know, I have a huuuuge tortilla chips addiction, and this super tasty pico de gallo is the perfect fit! It is incredibly delicious, very easy to make and made of fresh ingredients. So this recipe checks a lot of boxes. It seriously is the perfect delicious and healthy dip!
What is pico de gallo?
If you have never heard of pico de gallo, you should definitely try it! It is a fresh salsa made of tomatoes, onion, cilantro, chile pepper, and lime. Compared to the typical salsa most of us know, it uses only fresh ingredients and is chunkier. It has a very fresh, slightly lemony and spicy taste. What I love most about it is that it really is a healthy snack that tastes super delicious and is easy to make.
Ingredients and tips
To make a tasty pico de gallo, you only need six very basic ingredients:
- Tomatoes. Make sure you get ripe tomatoes, as they are the main ingredient and give a lot of flavor. If you can’t find ripe tomatoes, you could substitute them with grape tomatoes.
- Onions. You can go for red or white onions, both taste great! I personally love using red onions for this recipe.
- Chile peppers. You can totally choose what kind of chile pepper you want to use. When I make this recipe for guests, I most of the time go for jalapeños as they are milder. This way, everyone can enjoy it. If you like it spicier (I definitely fall into this category), then you can go for serrano peppers and choose the type you like most.
- Cilantro. If you don’t like cilantro or can’t eat it because you are one of the people for whom it tastes like soap, simply skip it. This fresh salsa will still taste delicious!
- Garlic. You can add more garlic than I used in the recipe. I played it safe since not everybody loves lots of garlic in their food. You can also skip it entirely if you don’t like it at all.
These are the six basic ingredients you need to make this delicious and easy pico de gallo recipe. And with the tips, you should definitely be able to modify the recipe if there are certain things you don’t like.
How to make the best pico de gallo
Preparing this easy pico de gallo is very simple! You just cut the tomatoes, onions and jalapeños into cubes. When you cut the tomatoes and jalapeños, make sure you deseed them. Otherwise, the salsa can get very watery and too spicy. Next, you chop the cilantro and mince the garlic. Then, you juice the lime. Combine everything in a bowl, add salt and pepper and there you go! A delicious and easy fresh salsa.
Can I serve pico de gallo only with tortilla chips?
Definitely not! Serving pico de gallo with tortilla chips is only one of many ways to enjoy this recipe. You can use if for all kinds of Mexican dishes. I love to make it for tacos, burritos, taco bowls and salads! It is a great addition to a variety of meals. Feel free to be creative and combine this tasty and easy fresh salsa with other foods.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #bitesofberi on Instagram, friends!
Easy Pico de Gallo
- 4 tomatoes seeded and diced
- ½ onion
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, garlic cloves and cilantro. Make sure you deseed the tomatoes and jalapeño. Add them to a bowl.
- Add the lime juice and salt and pepper to the other ingredients. Mix everything. Enjoy!
- I always deseed the tomatoes, as the tomatoes can make the pico de gallo very watery. So make sure to not skip this step.
- You can add more garlic and/or jalapeños! The amount of garlic and jalapeño should work for most people, but feel free to add more to taste.
Leave a Reply