It’s time for another pesto recipe! You guys know that I have a huge love for two things: pasta recipes and good old classics. Well, say hello to this classic sun-dried tomato pesto recipe. It is super delicious, very easy to make and ready in only five minutes! Perfect for a quick and easy healthy dinner. It is super flavorful and tastes absolutely amazing. I just love that something so simple can taste this good!
Ingredients for sun-dried tomato pesto
Since I wanted this recipe to be classic and easy to make, I went with very simple and basic ingredients. These are:
- sun-dried tomatoes
- pine nuts
- extra virgin olive oil
These ingredients are all pantry staples of mine, which makes it super easy to whip up this aromatic red pesto whenever I feel like it! There is absolutely no need to buy pesto in the supermarket. It is very easy and a lot healthier to simply make it at home as store bought pesto is usually made with cheap oils and added sugars. They really aren’t healthy which is why you should try to steer clear of them. Plus, it just tastes a loooot better when you make it yourself! Just stock up on these ingredients and you will always have a super tasty red pesto in five minutes.
How to make the pesto
This healthy red pesto is a simple five minute job. All you need is a food processor and the ingredients listed above.
You start by grating the parmesan cheese. Next, you peel the garlic. Then, simply add all of the ingredients, except for the olive oil, to the food processor. Slowly start pulsing while letting the olive oil drizzle into the food processor. Continue to mix the pesto with the food processor until you have your desired consistency. Then, try the pesto and add salt and pepper according to taste. Pulse some more. And you are done! That’s how easy it is to make a wonderful and tasty red pesto at home.
Depending on how creamy you like the pesto, you can add some water. The amount of water I usually add always depends on the way I serve this pesto. Just go for whatever you like most, there is absolutely no right or wrong way here. Just remember to start with less and then add more as needed.
How to serve the red pesto
There are lots of different ways to eat this pesto. Here are some of my favorite ways to serve this pesto for a little inspiration:
- Pasta Salad: I love to eat this pesto in a pasta salad! It is a great way to incorporate veggies into your meal while getting your favorite pasta with the most delicious and flavorful pesto. Win win.
- Zoodles: I absolutely love zoodles! Especially in combination with a pesto. They just go so well together since having regular pasta with a lot of pesto can become very heavy. You can also check out these lemony pesto zoodles with asparagus and salmon for more zoodle and pesto inspiration.
- Sandwich: This pesto goes super well with sandwiches and bread. Simply use it instead of mayonnaise for your sandwich and enjoy!
- Pasta: This one seems pretty straightforward, but we don’t want to forget the most obvious way to serve this pesto. You can (and definitely should) use this pesto for any type of pasta dish! I love to sauté leftover veggies in a pan and add them to some pasta and this pesto. It is an easy and healthy way to clean up your fridge and use those leftover veggies.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #bitesofberi on Instagram, friends!
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- Food processor
- 3 oz sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup parmesan grated
- ½ cup olive oil extra virgin
- salt and pepper
- First, peel the garlic cloves and grate the parmesan.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic cloves, pine nuts and parmesan to a food processor.
- Start pulsing and let the olive oil drizzle into the food processor while doing this. Mix with the food processor until the desired consistency is reached.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and mix again. Done!
- Optional: If you want to make the pesto creamier, slowly add water while pulsing with the food processor until you have your desired consistency.