It is finally asparagus season and I couldn't be more excited to share these lemony pesto zoodles with asparagus and salmon with you! This pesto zoodle recipe tastes super fresh, zesty, very light and extremely delish. It is very easy to make and is the perfect pasta recipe for those days you need something lighter. Instead of normal pasta, I decided to use zoodles. They are a lot more nutritious, taste great and are a perfect combo with pesto to keep things light.
Why zucchini noodles are great
Never tried zucchini noodles before? Give this recipe a try! They taste amazing in combination with our lemony baby spinach and arugula pesto and go extremely well with the salmon and asparagus used in this recipe. This combination is just BOMB! Promise.
I also love that zoodles are very easy and quick to prepare. There are different methods to make them, but what I always do and recommend is spiraling a zucchini and throwing the zoodles in a pan and heating them up! I never get soggy zoodles this way. Just make sure you don‘t add any salt so they don‘t get watery and don‘t sauté them for too long.
As for the other ingredients, preparation is very simple: the pesto is made by throwing all ingredients into your food processor and blending them. The salmon and asparagus are simply sautéed in a pan. In the end we mix the zoodles with the pesto and serve them with the asparagus and salmon and that's it! This recipe takes a bit more time as we have more ingredients here, but don‘t be scared. These lemony pesto zoodles with salmon and asparagus are very simple to make. And it is SO worth it! I also love to add more parmesan cheese and a few drops of lemon on top of the finished meal. And there you have it, a fancy looking pasta recipe featuring lovely asparagus.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #bitesofberi on Instagram, friends!
Lemony Pesto Zoodles with Asparagus and Salmon
- Food processor
- 1 oz baby spinach
- 1 oz arugula
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup parmesan
- 1 lemon lemon zest of 1 lemon and lemon juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 garlic clove
- salt and pepper
- 4 zucchini
- 1 lb asparagus weight for unpeeled asparagus
- 1 lb salmon
- 2 teaspoon olive oil extra virgin
- Prepare the pesto by adding all the ingredients to your food processor. Mix them until you have a creamy consistency.
Zoodles, Asparagus and Salmon
- Next, heat two pans on medium heat with 1 teaspoon olive oil for each pan. We will use one for the asparagus and one for the salmon. You can also sauté them one after another.
- In the meantime, spiralize your zucchinis for the zoodles. Cut the salmon into larger chunks. Cut the ends of the asparagus and peel if needed.
- Add the salmon and the asparagus to their pans. First sear the salmon from one side until it gets a golden colour. Then flip it and sear it from the other side. Sauté the asparagus until it gets some colour and is slightly soft. Set both aside.
- Add the zoodles to the pan you used for the asparagus. Sauté them, but not for too long! Otherwise they will get soggy.
- Mix the zoodles, asparagus, salmon and the pesto in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Optional: mix in some more arugula and top the zoodles with parmesan and lemon juice.