This is the ultimate breakfast and brunch recipe if you are looking for an alternative to your typical scrambled eggs. This savory Turkish Menemen is spicy, juicy, aromatic and simply tasty. If you are already a fan of Shakshuka, this recipe is a MUST try for you! They are actually quite similar, but use slightly different ingredients and spices resulting in different flavors. I have been a dedicated Menemen eater for a veeeeeery long time now (thanks to my Kurdish-Turkish mom), and I don’t want to live without it. It is THAT good. I promise.
What is Menemen?
For all who don’t know what Menemen is: it is a traditional Turkish breakfast recipe that mainly consists of tomatoes, green pepper, onions, eggs, olive oil and most importantly a generous amount of hot spices. Turkish people just love their breakfasts and Menemen is typically a part of it. It is usually served with bread and many other sides that are part of a Turkish breakfast. If you have never been to a Turkish café for breakfast, you should definitely do that ASAP! There is nothing better than having a relaxed breakfast with friends and family, sharing great food and drinking Turkish tea.
How to make Turkish Menemen
So how exactly is this savory Turkish Menemen prepared? It is actually very easy to make this recipe! First, you sauté the veggies. Then, you add the strained tomatoes. Next, you add all the spices and mix everything before pouring the beaten eggs into your pan on top of the rest. All that is left to do is cover the pan and wait until the eggs are cooked through. You then mix the Menemen while breaking apart the scrambled egg to get smaller pieces. That’s it! Easy, quick and absolutely delicious.
An extra tip for you
There is only one thing you should pay attention to when making the Menemen. As the quality of tomatoes really varies depending on the season, you might have to adjust the amount of strained tomatoes. If your tomatoes are already super juicy, just use less of the strained tomatoes and only add more if needed so that you don’t end up with too much of the sauce. Other than this, there truly is nothing to worry about when preparing this amazing taditional Turkish dish! I’m sure you will love it as much as I do.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #bitesofberi on Instagram, friends!
Savory Turkish Menemen
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- ½ green bell pepper
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup strained tomatoes
- 2 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tsp paprika powder (sweet or spicy depending on your taste)
- ½ tsp chili flakes (add more if you prefer it very spicy)
- salt and pepper
- Add the olive oil to the pan or pot you want to use to prepare the Menemen.
- Cut the tomatoes, onion and green bell pepper into dices. Beat the eggs in a bowl and add salt and pepper to them.
- Sauté the onions first until they become transparent. Then add the green bell pepper and sauté for approx. 5 minutes until they start to get softer. When the green bell pepper is slightly soft, add the tomatoes and sauté everything until the tomato juice starts to appear.
- Now add the strained tomatoes and spices. Add salt and pepper. Heat the tomato passata up and then reduce to low heat when bubbles start forming.
- Add the beaten eggs and cover the pan or pot. Let the eggs cook for approx. 15 minutes. If your eggs are not completely done yet, give them a careful stir and cover them again for 1-2 more minutes.
- When the Menemen is done, check if you want to add more tomatoe passata for more of the sauce. Add more spices to taste. Garnish with parsley. Done!