Who else loves eggs for breakfast? I definitely do! The great thing about eggs for breakfast is that there are so many options to prepare them. It just never gets boring. At the same time, they are super healthy and are packed with nutrients. And let me tell you: this healthy egg salad is super nutritious AND definitely does not disappoint in the taste department. It is very easy to make, only needs five ingredients, is made without mayo and yet tastes very creamy and is incredibly flavorful. This egg salad just has a very unique flavor. It tastes very fresh, slightly spicy and is quite aromatic.
Ingredients for the egg salad
Since we make this healthy egg salad with no mayo, you might be wondering what ingredients are used for this recipe. This egg salad is made with these five ingredients:
- spring onions
- chili flakes
- salt and pepper
I know, it looks pretty basic. But trust me, these five ingredients are more than enough to make an incredibly delicious egg salad! The ingredients all have quite a strong and distinct flavor, which makes it unnecessary to use more spices or ingredients.
And don’t worry, this egg salad will definitely not taste dry. The reason: mother nature gave eggs something super delicious and creamy: a yolk. When cooked right, the eggs and their yolks are more than enough to make this egg salad juicy and creamy.
How to cook the perfect eggs
So, you might be wondering how to cook the eggs so that we end up with an egg salad that is creamy and juicy.
Method 1: If you have an egg cooker, you can absolutely use it. We are aiming for eggs that have soft yolks that are still just a tad bit runny. Go for a setting that yields this finish and you are good to go.
Method 2: If you want to cook the eggs in a pot (I do it this ways), you start by boiling water in it. Next, when the water is boiling with bubbles, you carefully place the eggs in the pot. Immediately turn off the stove, close the pot with the lid and let the eggs cook for 7 minutes. If the eggs come straight out of the refrigerator, always add 1 minute cooking time. In this case, you would cook the eggs for 8 minutes. When the time is finished, take the eggs out of the pot and let them cool. I always put them in cold water to make them cool down faster. Again, we want eggs with soft yolks that are just a teeny tiny bit runny.
And that’s it! It might sound a bit complicated, but the eggs are actually very easy to cook. And if for some reason the eggs don’t end up as soft, don’t sweat it! This egg salad recipe will still taste great.
How to make the egg salad
The rest of the preparation is very simple and easy. Just cut the spring onions into thin slices and chop the parsley. When the eggs have cooled down enough, cut them into dices. Next, place the eggs, spring onions and (optionally) parsley in a bowl. Add the chili flakes and salt and pepper. Mix everything, garnish with parsley and you are done. If you prefer it spicier, feel free to add more chili flakes.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #bitesofberi on Instagram, friends!
Healthy Egg Salad
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup spring onion cut into thin slices
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes add more to make it spicier
- salt and pepper
- parsley optional
- Boil water in a pot using high heat. When the water is boiling, carefully add the eggs. Immediately turn the stove off, cover the pot and let the eggs cook for 7 minutes (8 minutes if taken straight from the refrigerator). The result should be a soft, but not runny yolk.
- Alternatively: Use an egg cooker to cook the eggs. The yolk should be soft, but not runny.
- In the meantime, cut the spring onions into thin slices and chop the parsley.
- After the cook time, take the eggs out of the water and let them cool. You can use cold water to speed up the process.
- Cut the eggs into dices and place them in a bowl. Add the spring onions. Then, add the chili flakes and salt and pepper. Mix the egg salad.
- Optional: garnish the egg salad with parsley.