This coconut shrimp curry is super easy to make and incredibly delicious. It is packed with flavorful and nutritious ingredients that not only make this curry healthy, but also tasty. Served with rice, this coconut shrimp curry becomes a satisfying and delicious meal that everyone will love!
It is time for another curry recipe! If you have browsed through my recipes, then you might have noticed that I looove all kinds of curry recipes. They are always super easy to make, taste great and are healthy. And this coconut shrimp curry is definitely easy to make and delicious! It combines a creamy and flavorful coconut curry sauce with fresh vegetables and juicy shrimps. It is full of flavor-boosting spices that complement shrimps perfectly, which makes this recipe a must-make for all curry and shrimp lovers!
Coconut Shrimp Curry Ingredients
The great thing about this coconut shrimp curry recipe is that you don’t need a lot of ingredients. Plus, many of the ingredients can be switched out to adjust this curry to your taste. Here is what you’ll need:
- Vegetables. This is where you can be creative. I used carrot and red bell pepper, but you can totally go wild and add the veggies you love!
- Onion. I used yellow onion for this recipe. You could also use green onion instead of yellow onion. Simply add the green onion shortly before serving as it might otherwise lose its flavor.
- Garlic and ginger. A must for any delicious curry!
- Curry paste. I recommend using yellow or red curry paste as they taste great with the shrimps and the coconut milk. You could also go for another type of curry paste if you want to.
- Coconut milk.
- Spices. You’ll need curry powder, ground turmeric and ground cumin to make this coconut shrimp curry.
How to make coconut shrimp curry
Making this shrimp curry is super easy! Simply follow these steps to prepare this delicious and warming curry:
- Prepare the ingredients: Start by preparing the ingredients you’ll need. This entails chopping the vegetables, mincing the garlic and grating the ginger.
- Sear shrimps: Next, preheat a pot over medium heat with some avocado oil and sear the shrimps from both sides. Make sure you don’t overcook them. Take them out of the pot and set aside.
- Sauté veggies: Now you can take care of the remaining ingredients. First, add some more oil to the pot and add the onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, then add the vegetables according to their cook time. When they start to soften, add the curry paste and sauté for one more minute.
- Simmer: Add the coconut milk and the spices to the pot, cover it with the lid and let it simmer for 10 minutes. When the curry has simmered, add back the shrimps and serve the curry.
There are different ways to serve this super easy coconut shrimp curry. Here are some of my favorites:
- Rice: Rice and curry just belong together! I like to use some type of white rice, but you could choose whatever kind of rice you like.
- Cauliflower rice: Cauliflower rice is an amazing low carb alternative to rice! Not only is it lower in carbohydrates, it also tastes great and is super healthy. You could also mix cauliflower rice and regular rice.
- Pasta: This might be unexpected, but this coconut shrimp curry actually goes super well with pasta. If I feel like switching things up, I sometimes love to do this! I will usually go for red lentil fusilli if I add pasta to the curry.
- Freezer: This coconut shrimp curry is perfect for meal prep and freezing some of it! It lasts for 2-3 months in the freezer.
- Refrigerator: You could also store any leftovers in the refrigerators. Just make sure you don’t let them sit there for more than 3 days.
More delicious and healthy curry and stew recipes
Curry and stew recipes are one of my favorites as they are easy to prepare, healthy and sooo warming. Here are some curry and stew recipes you might love:
- Easy Beef Chili
- Thai Peanut Curry with Chicken
- Indian Shrimp Curry
- Paneer Tikka Masala
- Classic Stovetop Beef Stew
Coconut Shrimp Curry
- 12 oz shrimps
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 carrot cut into slices
- 1 bell pepper cut into slices
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil half for searing shrimps, half for sautéing vegetables
- 2 tablespoon yellow or red curry paste
- 13.5 oz coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, chop the carrot, bell pepper and onion. Mince the garlic and grate the ginger.
- Heat a pot over medium heat using some avocado oil. Then, sear the shrimps from both sides until they are cooked through. Take them out of the pot and set aside.
- Now, add some more avocado oil to the pot. Add the onion, garlic and ginger, and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Next, add the carrot slices and sauté until they slightly start to soften. Then, add the bell pepper and curry paste. Sauté everything for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and spices (including salt and pepper) to the pot, stir everything, cover the pot and let the curry simmer for 10 minutes. Add back the shrimps, simmer for 1 minute and serve the curry.