This Thai peanut curry with chicken is a very easy and delicious recipe that is on your plate in no time! It is full of flavor and can be served with rice to make a filling, healthy and tasty meal.
To all people who love peanut butter as much as I do: you have to make this recipe! I just love how this Thai peanut curry recipe combines creamy peanut butter with the intense flavors of a curry. There seriously aren’t many things that are better than a creamy, spicy and super flavorful peanut curry sauce. If you have eaten an amazing peanut curry before, then you totally know what I am talking about. And if you haven’t: it is time to try it! You won’t regret it! And now imagine this wonderful sauce combined with your favorite veggies, chicken and fluffy rice. That’s what I call food heaven. And that’s what this Thai peanut curry with chicken is all about.
The ingredients you need to make this aromatic Thai peanut curry are actually quite basic and should be easy to get. Here are the ingredients you need:
- Chicken breast. You could substitute the chicken breast with tofu to make this recipe vegan/vegetarian.
- Vegetables. I find that carrots, red bell pepper and zucchini go really well with this recipe. But you can totally use whatever vegetables you like or have in your refrigerator.
- Peanut butter and peanuts. Make sure you use a good quality peanut butter without any added sugar.
- Coconut milk.
- Red curry paste.
- Soy sauce.
This ingredients list might look a bit longer than the ones of other recipes, but I totally recommend using all of them! Ingredients like garlic, ginger, onion and the red curry paste are crucial to the flavor of this Thai peanut curry with chicken. I would actually recommend having these ingredients in your pantry and refrigerator as they are great for a variety of dishes!
How to make Thai peanut curry with chicken
This Thai peanut curry with chicken is very quick and easy to make. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Prepare the ingredients. Simply wash and chop the chicken, vegetables, garlic, ginger, onion and peanuts.
- Sauté the ingredients. Next, sauté the ingredients in a pot. Start with the onion, garlic, ginger and chicken breast to create more flavor and sauté them shortly. Then, simply add the vegetables. Start with the ones that take the longest to get soft (e.g. the carrots) and sauté them. When they have softened a bit, you can add the other vegetables and mix everything. There is no need to sauté these, as they will turn soft while the curry simmers.
- Simmer. Now, add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot, cover it and let the curry simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve. Serve the chicken peanut curry with a side of your choice and enjoy!
Modifications and tips for making Thai peanut curry
As with most of my recipes, you can definitely modify this recipe according to your preferences. Here are some ideas:
- Make it vegan/ vegetarian: I sometimes switch up the chicken breast and use tofu instead. It tastes great and is perfect for all vegans and vegetarians! You can also skip the protein entirely and go for a veggie version.
- Make it gluten free and soy free: Use tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce to make this recipe gluten free. If you want to make a soy free Thai peanut curry then simply use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
- Sides: I love to serve this chicken peanut curry with some type of white rice. You could also serve it with cauliflower rice to keep it low carb.
As I am all for meal prepping to make your life easier, I totally suggest making a few extra servings of this tasty Thai peanut curry with chicken. Here is how to store it:
- Refrigerator: The curry usually stays fresh for about 3-4 days.
- Freezer: You can also stock up your freezer with some delicious meals you cooked. The chicken peanut curry can be stored for 2-3 months.
More quick recipes
Here are a few more recipes that are great for a quick and healthy dinner:
- Indian Shrimp Curry
- Cold Soba Noodle Salad with Ginger Soy Dressing
- Teriyaki Chicken Bowl
- Easy Beef Chili
- Batata Harra (Spicy Potatoes)
Thai Peanut Curry with Chicken
Thai Curry Ingredients
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into cubes
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- ½ zucchini diced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- ¼ cup peanuts chopped
- 2 teaspoon avocado oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Thai Peanut Curry Sauce Ingredients
- 13.5 oz coconut milk
- 3 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon red curry paste
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce alternatives: tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Add the avocado oil to a pot and preheat the pot over medium heat. Prepare the ingredients by washing and chopping them.
- First, add the onion, garlic, ginger and chicken breast chunks to the pot and sauté them shortly until the chicken breast has some color. Don't cook the chicken breast through at this point as it will stay in the pot and might become dry if seared for too long.
- Then, add the carrot to the pot and sauté until they have slightly softened. Next, add the red bell pepper and zucchini to the pot and stir everything.
- Add all of the peanut curry sauce ingredients to the pot. Cover the pot with the lid, reduce the heat and let the peanut curry simmer for approx. 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft enough. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!