This vegan potato leek soup is a creamy and delicious soup that is perfect for the cold months! It is warming, filling and very healthy. Plus, you can serve this healthy potato leek soup as a main dish with crusty bread and a side salad or as a starter. It is super versatile and just perfect for all veggie soup lovers.
This vegan potato leek soup is perfect for a healthy break from all the holiday sweet treats, or if you simply want a healthy and warming bowl of delicious soup. It can be modified in many ways (make it super creamy or use some flavorful toppings!), is super easy to prepare and just very tasty! Plus, this healthy potato leek soup is mild in flavor which is great if you love to add toppings or other ingredients to switch up the flavor of your dishes.
The main ingredients for this soup are potatoes and leeks. You’ll also need some additional ingredients for giving this soup flavor and making it extra delish. Here is what you’ll need:
- Leeks. I used 2 large leeks. If you use medium-sized leeks, use 3 leeks instead of 2.
- Potatoes. You can use your favorite type of potato for making this soup. Just go with what you usually use.
- Celery. I love to add celery for some additional nutrients and flavor. But, you can skip it if you don’t like celery.
- Carrot. Carrots are another ingredient I love to add for more texture, flavor and its nutritional benefits.
- Garlic. This one is a must in most of my recipes. Garlic gives lots of flavor and complements this vegan potato leek soup perfectly.
- Yellow onion. I know, we already use leeks in this recipe, why add an onion? Please trust me. Adding an onion adds flavor and depth to this recipe which is important for making a dairy free potato leek soup that has enough flavor, but is still mild.
- Vegetable broth. If you are not vegan or vegetarian, you can substitute the vegetable broth with chicken broth if you want to. Both work great!
- Herbs. You’ll need a bay leaf, dried thyme and fresh chives for making this vegan potato leek soup.
- Lemon. Adding fresh lemon juice is always great for balancing out and brightening the flavors of a soup. So I highly recommend using some!
How to make this vegan potato leek soup
Making this healthy potato leek soup is super easy! Here are the steps for making this soup:
- Sauté. Preheat a pot over medium heat with some olive oil and sauté the leeks, onion, garlic, celery and carrot for 5-10 minutes.
- Simmer. Next, add the potatoes, vegetable broth, bay leaf, dried thyme, and salt and pepper to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot and let everything simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Blend. Now, use an immersion blender to spot blend the potato leek soup. If you don’t want any chunks in the soup, blend until it is creamy. Use more water or vegetable broth if the soup is too thick when blended creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add the lemon juice and chives, give the soup a stir and serve with your favorite toppings or sides!
You can definitely modify this recipe according to your own preferences. Here are some ideas for you:
- Coconut milk: If you want to create a vegan and dairy-free potato leek soup that has some form of fat and cream, I recommend adding some coconut milk! Just a bit of coconut milk is enough to make the soup creamy, without having it taste like coconut.
- Other herbs and spices: You can definitely use other or more herbs than I did in the recipe. I sometimes love adding parsley or dried rosemary to the soup. I also recommend adding red pepper flakes. They just make every soup so much better!
- Add-ins and toppings: If you are not vegan or vegetarian, I can totally recommend adding crispy bacon to the soup. I also love roasted chickpeas for added protein, flavor and texture.
If you have more tips on how to switch up the flavor of the soup, definitely let me know in the comments! I love hearing all of your creative food ideas!
This vegan potato leek soup can be served as main or starter. Here is how I like to serve the soup:
- Main dish: The soup tastes great with crusty bread, a simple arugula salad as side, or roasted chickpeas to add protein.
- Starter: To serve this soup as a starter, I like to blend this easy potato leek soup until it is completely creamy. Just serve the soup as it is (or add some coconut milk) and everyone will love it!
This vegan potato leek soup is great for making a large batch and freezing part of it! These are your two storage options:
- Refrigerator: You can store this dairy-free potato leek soup for up to 5 days in your refrigerator.
- Freezer: You can store the soup for 2-3 months in your freezer.
More warming and healthy vegan soup recipes
Soups are a must-make during winter time! Here are some vegan soup recipes you might love, even if you are not vegan:
Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Immersion blender
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium leeks chopped
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 lb potatoes cut into bite-size dices
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon chives chopped
- 1-2 tablespoon lemon juice more to taste
- Preheat a pot over medium with the olive oil. Sauté the leeks, onion, garlic, celery and carrot for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, vegetable broth, bay leaf, dried thyme and salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Next, take out the bay leaf and use an immersion blender to blend part of the soup. If you prefer a creamy soup without chunks, blend the soup until creamy. Add more liquid (water or vegetable broth) if needed.
- Add the chives and lemon juice. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy!