This easy lasagna soup recipe should definitely make it onto your to-cook list! It combines a super flavorful tomato-based broth, delicious ground beef, perfectly cooked lasagna noodles and melting cheese. Make sure to add fresh basil on top and enjoy this comforting bowl of delicious lasagna soup on a cozy day at home.
If there is one soup I can’t get enough of, it must be this super delicious and easy lasagna soup! The recipe is incredibly simple, yet very delicious. Even my family loves this soup. And trust me, this definitely means something! I just love how easy it is to whip up this soup and feed everyone. So if you only make one soup this month, let it be this super yum lasagna soup.
The ingredients you’ll need for making this lasagna soup are super simple, but they give tons of flavor and make the soup super delish! Here is what you’ll need:
- Ground beef.
- Lasagna noodles.
- Garlic and onion. These are definitely a must in this recipe, as they give lots of flavor. So, don’t skip them.
- Carrot. As carrots are just part of any delicious bolognese sauce, we definitely want to make them part of your lasagna soup. The soup just tastes a lot better that way!
- Tomato paste.
- Tomato passata and beef broth. These two ingredients are used to make the soup broth. You can substitute the tomato passata with a can of tomato sauce or diced tomatoes. I just love tomato passata as it is richer in flavor when compared to diced tomatoes. But definitely choose what you prefer!
- Italian seasoning and bay leaf. I love to add Italian seasoning, as it is a beautiful mix to create all the yummy Italian flavors. But you can substitute it with a combination of dried oregano, dried basil, dried thyme and/or dried rosemary.
- Cheese (ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese). You decide how much cheese you want to use! I love to add ricotta cheese and parmesan cheese, but feel free to use all three cheese types. They taste great and make this easy lasagna soup extra special.
- Fresh basil. Fresh basil makes this soup so much better, so please don’t skip.
How to make lasagna soup
I promised you that preparing this lasagna soup is simple and easy. And it is. Just follow these steps:
- Sauté. Preheat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Sauté the garlic, onion and carrot until the onion is translucent. Add the ground beef and sauté until it is browned. Add salt, pepper and tomato paste. Sauté 1 more minute.
- Simmer. Add the tomato passata, beef broth, Italian seasoning and bay leaf to the pot. Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook lasagna noodles. You have two options for cooking the lasagna noodles. You either make this a one-pot lasagna soup by adding the lasagna noodles to the simmering soup and letting them cook with it. Or you cook the noodles in a separate pot and add them to the bowls you serve the soup in. I recommend cooking the noodles separately if you want to freeze or refrigerate part of the soup, as the noodles can get mushy when they are left in the soup.
- Add toppings and serve. Now comes the cheesy part! Take out the bay leaf, serve the lasagna soup in bowls and add fresh basil and your favorite cheese to make this a super yum and cheesy lasagna soup. Enjoy!
As with most recipes, you can modify some things to change the flavor of this dish or prepare it according to your dietary needs. Here are some tips:
- Make it spicy: If you want to give this easy lasagna soup a spicy kick, I recommend adding some paprika powder or chili powder.
- Add celery: I love adding veggies to my recipes, but I did not want to include celery in the original recipe as you only need one celery stalk for 4 servings of this dish. But, if you can use the remaining celery stalks for other recipes (you could try this homemade chicken soup or classic stovetop beef stew), I highly recommend adding one to this soup. It makes the lasagna soup taste even better, plus you'll have more veggies!
- Make it gluten-free: If you want this easy lasagna soup to be gluten-free, just use gluten-free lasagna noodles (or even other gluten-free pasta).
Can I freeze lasagna soup?
Yes, you can definitely freeze lasagna soup! I recommend freezing the soup without the cheese and the noodles. It should be good for up to 2 months. When you are ready to serve the soup, just thaw and reheat it on the stove. Cook noodles and add the noodles, cheese and basil to the soup.
If you plan on eating the soup within the next 3 days, you can store the soup in the refrigerator. Just store the lasagna noodles separately so they don’t get soggy.
More easy and delicious soups and stews
If you love soups and stews, you should try one of these recipes. They are all super delish and very easy to prepare!
- Best White Bean Chicken Chili
- Vegetable Lentil Soup
- Classic Stovetop Beef Stew
- Homemade Chicken Soup
- Turkish Lentil Soup
Easy Lasagna Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 carrot cut into dices
- 1 lb ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups tomato passata (strained tomatoes) or 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 uncooked lasagna noodles broken into bite-sized pieces
- fresh basil, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese as toppings
- Preheat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Then, add the onion, garlic and carrot and sauté until the onion is translucent. Add the ground beef and sauté until it is browned.
- Add salt, pepper and tomato paste to the pot. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Next, add the tomato passata, beef broth, Italian seasoning and bay leaf to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes.
- Option 1: Before the soup has finished cooking, add the noodles to the pot the soup cooks in and let the noodles cook with the soup until they are soft enough. Pay attention to cook time (see package instructions). Option 2: While the soup simmers, cook the noodles in a separate pot and add them to the bowls the soup is served in.
- Take out the bay leaf, add more salt and pepper if needed, serve the soup in bowls and add your favorite cheese and fresh basil as toppings. Enjoy!
- Toppings: You can choose what type of cheese you want to add to the soup. I love ricotta cheese and parmesan cheese, but feel free to add all three cheese types! I highly recommend adding fresh basil. It makes the soup extra delicious.
- Cooking noodles: If you think you'll have leftovers, I recommend cooking the noodles according to option 2 (separate pot) as the noodles can get mushy when they are stored with the soup. If there won't be any leftovers, go for option 1 to make this an easy one-pot meal for the family.