Apple cinnamon overnight oats make a super quick and incredibly delicious make-ahead breakfast. They are sweet, creamy and simply taste like dessert in a bowl. Plus: they are very healthy and satiating. So if you are in need of a quick, healthy and super delish breakfast recipe: I’ve got you covered!
Overnight oats are one of my go-to breakfast recipes. The reason: they are prepared the night before, only take 5 minutes to make, taste amazing, are very satiating and they are packed with a bunch of nutrients! Plus, you can change their flavor super easily! And since fall and winter is just perfect for cinnamon and apples: apple cinnamon overnight oats it is!
To make these healthy apple cinnamon overnight oats, you’ll need following ingredients:
- Old-fashioned rolled oats. I recommend using rolled oats instead of instant oats. They soak the milk well, but don’t completely lose their form which is perfect for making overnight oats that are creamy, but still have texture.
- Apple. You can use the kind of apple you love.
- Ground cinnamon. If you feel like adding more spices without making things complicated, you could use an apple pie spice mix instead of ground cinnamon. I usually go with ground cinnamon, as I find it super simple and very delicious.
- Chia seeds. They are an amazing fibre source and give these overnight oats a creamy texture when they are soaked, so don’t skip them.
- Greek yogurt. You could skip the yogurt, but it is a great source of protein and makes the overnight oats taste even more delicious, so I recommend adding it.
- Maple syrup or honey. Or any other sweetener of choice.
- (Plant-based) milk. I love to use almond milk, but feel free to use any other type of milk.
- Toppings. This is where you can be creative! Toppings I love are walnuts, almonds, raisins, nut butter, a dash of cinnamon or chocolate chips. Feel free to use any other topping you think would taste great with apple cinnamon overnight oats! And let me know in the comments what your favorite combination is.
How to make apple cinnamon overnight oats
Making apple cinnamon overnight oats is the easiest thing ever! Simply follow these steps the night before you want to enjoy your overnight oats:
- Mix ingredients. Simply add all ingredients, except for the toppings, to a container or glass jar and mix them.
- Soak. Place the container in your refrigerator and let the overnight oats soak overnight, or for at least 4 hours. Add the toppings before storing the overnight oats in the refrigerator or immediately before serving.
- Serve. If you haven’t added your favorite toppings yet, add them now and enjoy your super delicious apple cinnamon overnight oats.
Some tips for you
- Thin it: If you find that the overnight oats are too thick in the morning, simply add more milk and thin them.
- Meal prep: You can easily prepare several servings of overnight oats at once. That way, you’ll have your breakfast ready for the next few days!
The great thing about these apple cinnamon overnight oats is that most people can enjoy them as they can meet all kinds of dietary needs. Here is how you can make these overnight oats..
- Vegan: Use some type of plant-based milk, your favorite vegan yogurt and a vegan sweetener of choice.
- Gluten-free: Make sure you use a brand of oats that explicitly states that the oats are gluten-free.
- Dairy-free: Use plant-based milk and your favorite dairy-free/vegan yogurt.
These apple cinnamon overnight oats are perfect for meal prep! Just store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You might have to add a bit of milk if they were in the refrigerator for several days.
More healthy breakfast recipes
Making a delicious and healthy breakfast is the perfect way to start your day. Here are some recipes you might love:
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon or apple pie spice
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- ½ apple finely diced
- ½ cup (plant-based) milk of choice
- toppings of choice e.g. walnuts, almonds, raisins, nut butter, more cinnamon or chocolate chips
- Add all ingredients to a container or glass jar and mix until they are well combined.
- Place the container in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. I recommend preparing the overnight oats in the evening so they are ready for the next morning. Add toppings before placing the overnight oats in the refrigerator or immediately before serving.
- In the morning, thin the overnight oats with more milk if needed. Enjoy!
- Toppings: I love using walnuts, raisins and a few more apple dices. Feel free to be creative and add the toppings you love. If you want to save time in the morning, add the toppings the night before you want to enjoy the overnight oats.
- Vegan: You can make this recipe vegan by using plant-based milk, plant-based yogurt and a vegan sweetener of choice.
- Gluten-free: Make sure you buy a brand of oats that explicitly states on the package that they are gluten-free.
- Don't use instant oats when preparing overnight oats. They have a different texture than rolled oats when they are soaked. So use old-fashioned rolled oats and you'll love the result!