This black bean and corn salad is the perfect side dish for lots of different meals! You can serve it as part of a taco bowl, wrap, or salad. It’s super healthy, easy to make, and simply delicious!
This black bean and corn salad recipe is my favorite for creating Mexican-Inspired bowls and other dishes! It is super quick and easy to make, tastes amazing, and is super flavorful. I often serve it with seared chicken breast and rice, or as a delicious wrap with beef. Plus, it is super healthy! So definitely try this one, you’ll love it!
To make this black bean and corn salad, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Black beans. I used canned black beans. But if you prefer another type of beans, like kidney beans, feel free to go for it!
- Corn. You can use either fresh, canned, or frozen corn. I used canned corn.
- Red bell pepper. Red bell pepper adds a bit of crunch to this salad, so don’t forget to add it!
- Avocado. Avocados and Mexican recipes belong together! If you don’t like them, feel free to skip. But I totally recommend adding avocado dices to this yummy black bean and corn salad!
- Red onion.
- Jalapeño pepper. If you prefer something spicier, feel free to use serrano pepper instead of jalapeño pepper.
- Cilantro. Cilantro is one of the key ingredients in this healthy black bean and corn salad recipe. It is a staple in Mexican cooking and it’s a must in this recipe. It has a fresh taste and is absolutely amazing. So don’t skip!
- Homemade lime dressing. The homemade lime dressing is made with fresh lime juice, olive oil, maple syrup, chili powder, and ground cumin. It complements the salad ingredients perfectly.
How to make this black bean and corn salad
Making this healthy black bean and corn salad is so easy, you probably don’t even need a description of the steps. Nevertheless, here are the three simple steps you’ll need to follow:
- Prepare the salad ingredients. Simply drain and rinse the canned ingredients. Chop the remaining salad ingredients.
- Make the dressing. Make the dressing by whisking the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Combine. Pour the lime dressing over the salad and toss. Add more salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!
Serving this black bean corn avocado salad
There are so many different ways to serve this salad! Here are some of my favorites:
- Rice: If you want a very simple (and vegan) meal, serve this salad with rice. Cooking rice is super quick and easy, so this is probably the most fuss-free way to serve this salad.
- Bowl: You could also sear beef, chicken, or shrimp and serve it with this salad over rice. This is probably my favorite way to enjoy this dish. It’s still very simple, but the meat adds more flavor and texture to the dish.
- Salad: Maybe you want to skip the rice and keep the meal lighter. Serve this salad over a bed of greens, and maybe some chicken, beef, or shrimps.
- Wraps: This is another vegan option. Simply use the salad to make wraps and enjoy them as a quick lunch. Or upgrade your wraps by adding chicken, beef, or shrimps.
And there are many other ways to switch things up! You can add pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, or shredded cheese to any of the options above. Feel free to be creative and enjoy this super delicious black bean and corn salad!
You can store the salad for 2-3 days in your refrigerator. If you want to make a few extra servings for meal prep, add the avocado and dressing right before serving. Otherwise, the avocado might brown and the salad can become soggy.
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes
More easy and healthy salad recipes
Black Bean and Corn Salad
- 2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 avocado diced
- ½ red onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper finely diced
- 3 tbsp cilantro chopped
Lime Dressing Ingredients
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a large bowl.
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a small bowl or jar and mix them.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Check if you need to add more salt and pepper. Enjoy!
- Meal prep: If you want to prepare more of this salad in advance, reserve some of it before adding the dressing and avocado. Otherwise, the avocado might brown and the salad might become soggy when stored in the refrigerator.