This cucumber dill salad is one of my favorite salads to make during summer. It is quick and easy in preparation and is a healthy alternative to other cucumber salad recipes as it is made without any mayo! Instead, the dressing is made with vinegar, olive oil and dill. And let me tell you: you won’t miss that mayo in your cucumber salad! This salad tastes very fresh and slightly sour with a hint of lemon. I love that it is super light and can be combined with so many different meals. Most of the time I serve this salad as a side for dinner or mix it with some other veggies and some protein so that I have a wonderful salad for lunch.
How to make cucumber dill salad
So, let’s get into how this cucumber salad is prepared. There are two methods for preparing this salad, depending on your personal taste. The first method is simpler and quicker in preparation. The final result is a cucumber salad that is crunchy and crispy as the cucumbers are not dehydrated here. To make the cucumber salad, all you do is cut the cucumber into thin slices. Like very thin. You want your cucumber slices to be slightly see-through. Next, you cut the dill and add all of the other ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. Mix your cucumbers with the dressing and that’s it! Very quick and easy, right?
The second method takes a bit more time, but is the way to go if you want your cucumbers to be softer and less crunchy. All we need here is one little extra step. You start by cutting the cucumber into very thin slices. Now, you add some salt to the cucumber slices and let them sit for 10 minutes to dehydrate them. In the meantime, you can prepare the dressing. After 10 minutes, the cucumbers should be dehydrated. Drain them so that no water is left and mix them with the dressing. And that’s it! Still very simple, but a slightly different result.
No matter which way you decide to make this cucumber dill salad, it always tastes amazing! It all comes down to personal preference here. If you plan on not serving this cucumber salad immediately, make sure to not add any (additional) salt! Instead, simply add it before serving.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #bitesofberi on Instagram, friends!
Cucumber Dill Salad
- 1 cucumber
- ½ cup dill chopped without stems
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Cut the cucumber into very thin (slightly see-through) slices. Place them into a salad bowl.
Method 1 (crunchy cucumber salad)
- Cut the dill. Mix the dressing in a separate bowl using the olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, the chopped dill and pepper. Add salt only if served immediately. Otherwise add it to the cucumber salad shortly before serving.
- Mix the finished dressing with the cucumbers. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
Method 2 (soft cucumber salad)
- Add salt to the cucumbers in the bowl and let them sit for approx. 10 minutes to dewater them.
- Cut the dill. Mix the dressing in a separate bowl using the olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, the chopped dill and pepper.
- Drain the cucumbers until there is no water left. Mix the finished dressing with the cucumbers. Add more salt and pepper if needed.