This curried chickpea salad is perfect for a quick, healthy, and delicious lunch or dinner! It combines chickpeas with fresh veggies and an amazing curry yogurt sauce! Served as a wrap or sandwich, this curried chickpea salad makes for a filling and nutritious meal.
Whenever I want to make a quick and healthy lunch, I go for wraps or sandwiches that are filled with all the good and delicious ingredients. And this curried chickpea salad is perfect for that purpose! It is super quick and easy to make (all you do is chop and mix), it’s filled with wholesome ingredients and it is super flavorful.
To make this curried chickpea salad, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Chickpeas: Simply use canned chickpeas for this salad.
- Vegetables: Red onion, celery and red bell pepper make this healthy chickpea salad super delicious. But feel free to substitute any of these ingredients if you don’t like them!
- Herbs: I love to use either parsley, cilantro or chives, depending on the final result I go for. All of them taste great in this salad!
- Homemade curry yogurt dressing: The sauce for this curried chickpea salad is made with greek yogurt, fresh lemon juice, curry powder, honey and Dijon mustard. These ingredients make the salad super flavorful, but keep things light and healthy.
How to make this curried chickpea salad
Making this salad is super easy! Just follow these steps:
- Make the dressing. Whisk all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Mash the chickpeas (optional). Add the chickpeas to a large bowl and mash them partially (optional) with a fork or potato masher.
- Mix everything. Add the remaining salad ingredients and the dressing to the chickpeas. Season with salt and pepper and mix until everything is combined.
- Sweet version: If you are a fan of combining sweet and savory, I recommend adding grapes or apple dices to the salad. It tastes great and switches things up!
- Spice it up: Yup, I cannot write a post without mentioning that you can (and absolutely should) make a spicy version of this dish. I just love spicy foods. So I recommend adding red pepper flakes to the chickpea salad.
- Add other vegetables: I really think the vegetables in this curried chickpea salad recipe are perfect for the dish, but you can definitely substitute them! If red onion tastes too harsh, go for spring onion or chives. Skip the celery if you don’t like it. Or add grated carrots to the salad. Just feel free to adjust things as needed and enjoy your meal!
- Vegan: You can easily make this recipe vegan by using vegan (nut) yogurt and maple syrup instead of greek yogurt and honey.
There are many different ways to serve this curried chickpea salad! Here are some of my favorites for some inspiration:
- Wraps and sandwiches: This is what I go for most often! I simply love a healthy and delicious chickpea salad sandwich or wrap. I recommend adding baby spinach to the wrap or sandwich, which makes everything taste even better.
- Bowl: Another great option is serving the curried chickpea salad with rice and baby spinach. The combination of rice and the salad is amazing!
- Lettuce cups: If you want a healthy snack or appetizer, serve this curried chickpea salad in lettuce cups. Quick, healthy and delish!
If you make this salad, I recommend preparing a few extra servings for meal prep. You can store the curried chickpea salad for 3-4 days in your refrigerator.
More delicious and healthy recipes
If you love healthy, easy and delicious recipes, you might want to try one of the following recipes. They are all great options for lunch or a quick weeknight dinner.
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Coconut Chickpea Curry
- Balsamic Lentil Salad
- Soba Noodle Salad with Ginger Soy Dressing
- Veggie Tofu Stir Fry
Curried Chickpea Salad
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ½ red onion finely diced
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper cut into dices
- 2 tablespoon fresh herbs, e.g. parsley or cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Prepare the curry yogurt dressing by mixing all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add the chickpeas to a large bowl. Then mash them partially (optional) with a fork or a potato masher.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients and the dressing to the chickpeas. Season with salt and pepper, then stir until everything is well-combined. Serve and enjoy!
- Serving tips: I recommend serving the salad with leafy greens (e.g. baby spinach) as a wrap or sandwich. You could also make a bowl with rice and leafy greens. Or serve the chickpea salad in lettuce cups for a light and healthy snack!
- Make it vegan: To make this recipe vegan, substitute the greek yogurt and honey with vegan yogurt and maple syrup.