This Mediterranean lentil salad makes an amazing meal for lunch as it is packed with vitamins, minerals, plant-based protein and fiber. Plus, it tastes incredibly delicious and is very satiating!
Salads are a great option for lunch. They are filled with delicious and nutritious ingredients and can keep you satiated for a long time. And this Mediterranean lentil salad definitely is a salad that will keep you full and well-nourished. It combines fresh vegetables with super nutritious lentils and a delicious homemade lemon vinaigrette. Serve it with bread on the side and you’ll have a delicious and super healthy meal in only 20 minutes.
Lentil Salad Ingredients
To make this Mediterranean lentil salad you’ll need following ingredients:
- Lentils. You can use brown or green lentils to make this Mediterranean lentil salad. Just make sure you check the cook time and don’t overcook the lentils.
- Vegetables. Cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and baby spinach make this salad super healthy and extra delish. You can substitute some of the vegetables, e.g. you can use other leafy greens instead of baby spinach.
- Olives. I used Kalamata olives, but feel free to use another type of olive if you want to.
- Feta cheese.
- Homemade lemon dressing. The dressing is made with garlic, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, red pepper flakes and mustard (optional). It is my favorite for all kinds of Mediterranean salads.
How to make this Mediterranean lentil salad
Preparing this lentil salad is super simple! The only tricky part is cooking the lentils, as they can go from perfectly tender to mushy very quickly. Simply check on the lentils while they are cooking to prevent them from turning into mush. Here are all the steps for making this Mediterranean lentil salad:
- Cook the lentils. Rinse the lentils, add them to a pot with water, bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot and let the lentils simmer. Check the package for cook time and make sure the lentils don’t overcook.
- Prepare the salad ingredients and dressing. Simply chop all of the salad ingredients and add them to a large bowl. Prepare the dressing by mixing the ingredients in a small bowl or jar.
- Combine. Let the lentils cool. Then, add the lentils and dressing to the salad ingredients. Add more salt, pepper, lemon juice or red pepper flakes as needed. Enjoy!
You can easily modify this recipe in different ways. Here are some ideas for you:
- Make it vegan: Just skip the feta cheese and you’ll have a super healthy vegan lentil salad.
- Dressing: I think you’ll love the dressing as it is, but you can add more lemon juice, red pepper flakes or skip the mustard if you want to. It’s all a matter of taste.
Ideas for serving
I recommend serving this Mediterranean lentil salad as a main dish, as it is very satiating. But there are some sides you can serve that go really well with the salad.
- Bread. Bread always is a delicious side for any type of salad. So feel free to serve crusty bread with this healthy lentil salad.
- Baked chicken. If you are not vegan or vegetarian, you can serve the salad with baked chicken breast or chicken thighs. It adds some protein and goes super well with this Mediterranean lentil salad.
- Salmon. For some added protein and healthy fats, serve this lentil salad with salmon. It’s a delicious combo!
More easy and delicious salad recipes
If you love to make salads for lunch or dinner, try out one of the following recipes. They are all super quick and easy to prepare!
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Kisir (Turkish Bulgur Salad)
- Mediterranean Potato Salad
- Pesto Spaghetti Salad
- Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
Mediterranean Lentil Salad
- 1 cup green or brown lentils uncooked
- 1 ½ cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cucumber diced
- ½ red onion finely diced
- 2 handfuls baby spinach chopped
- ½ cup Kalamata olives halved or sliced
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ⅔ cup parsley chopped
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the lentils according to package instructions. Cook them until tender. Don't overcook, as they get mushy very quickly!
- While the lentils cook, prepare the salad ingredients and the dressing. Add the salad ingredients to a large bowl and prepare the dressing in a small bowl or jar.
- When the lentils are cooked, let them cool. Then, add the lentils and the dressing to the salad ingredients and mix everything. Add more salt, pepper or red pepper flakes as needed.
- Vegan: Just skip the feta cheese to make this salad vegan.
- Meal prep: You can prepare multiple servings in advance. Simply store the dressing and salad separately, so the salad doesn't get soggy.
- Dressing: You can add more lemon juice or red pepper flakes to taste. Skip the Dijon mustard if you don't like it.
Leave a Reply