This peanut butter overnight oats recipe is a delicious and easy make-ahead breakfast recipe. Just prepare these healthy overnight oats in the evening and enjoy them in the morning to fuel up for your day!
Overnight oats are an amazing breakfast for anyone who wants to start their day right! They are packed with nutrients, are high in protein and keep you full for a long time. Plus, you can vary them in lots of different ways. Because healthy eating doesn’t have to be boring! And these peanut butter overnight oats definitely prove how delicious healthy foods can be.
To make peanut butter overnight oats, you’ll need following ingredients:
- Old-fashioned rolled oats. I recommend using old-fashioned rolled oats, and not quick or instant oats. They make the overnight oats creamy, but still have some texture after they have been soaked in milk.
- Chia seeds. Chia seeds are a great source of fiber and make these peanut butter overnight oats extra healthy, creamy and delicious. So don’t skip them!
- Natural peanut butter. If you want these overnight oats to be as healthy as possible, make sure the only ingredients on the label of the peanut butter jar are peanuts and some salt.
- Honey. I love to use honey for some added sweetness, but you can use any other sweetener. Just go with your preferences.
- Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt adds some protein and makes these make-ahead overnight oats creamy, so I recommend adding it, although it is not a must.
- (Plant-based) milk. You choose what type of milk you want to use. I love to use almond milk.
- Toppings. This is where you can be creative. You can add the toppings you love most. For me, that’s banana, chocolate chunks and walnuts.
How to make peanut butter overnight oats
Peanut butter overnight oats are super easy and quick to prepare. Just follow these simple steps:
- Mix. Simply add all of the ingredients to a container or jar and stir everything.
- Soak. Store the container in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Add toppings. If the overnight oats are too thick in the morning, add more milk and stir. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy your satisfying breakfast!
If you want to save time in the morning, you can also add your favorite toppings in the evening. That way, you can just grab your breakfast and head out the door for work.
You can easily modify this recipe to make it fit your taste or dietary needs. Here are some ideas:
- Vegan: If you are vegan, just swap out the milk, greek yogurt and sweetener and use a vegan alternative instead.
- Gluten-free: If you want these peanut butter overnight oats to be gluten-free, make sure you use a brand of oats that explicitly states on the package that they are gluten-free.
- Toppings: There are lots of different toppings you can use for making these peanut butter overnight oats extra delish. You could add strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, walnuts, almonds, peanuts, dark chocolate chunks, peanut butter and many other fruits and nuts! Feel free to go with your favorite combination.
One of the main reasons I love overnight oats is that they are amazing for meal prep! Just prepare multiple servings and store them in the refrigerator. I recommend storing them for up to 3 days, as this is when they taste best. But they should keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
More healthy breakfast recipes
If you love delicious and easy breakfast recipes, then try one of the following recipes. They are all super easy to make and taste amazing!
- Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats
- Turkish Menemen
- No Mayo Egg Salad with Avocado
- Healthy Egg Salad
Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- ½ tbsp honey or other sweetener of choice
- ¼ cup greek yogurt alternative: plant-based yogurt
- ½ cup (plant-based) milk
- toppings of choice, e.g. diced banana, berries, dark chocolate chunks, chopped nuts, peanut butter
- Add all ingredients to a container or jar. Mix until everything is combined.
- Let the oats soak in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. I recommend preparing the overnight oats in the evening, so they are ready in the morning.
- Add more milk if the overnight oats are too thick. Add toppings of choice and enjoy!
- Make it vegan: Use plant-based milk, plant-based yogurt and your favorite vegan sweetener.
- Make it gluten-free: Make sure you use gluten-free oats.
- Toppings: You can use the toppings you love most! I used banana dices, chopped dark chocolate, walnuts and some extra peanut butter.