These monster cookies are gluten-free oatmeal cookies that are made with creamy peanut butter, sweet chocolate candies, and delicious chocolate chips. They are chewy, soft, and taste simply amazing!
If you’re looking for a gluten-free monster cookie recipe, make sure to give this one a try! It’s perfect for making soft, chewy monster cookies that don’t fall apart or crumble.
Plus, the cookies are super simple to make and perfectly combine classic monster cookie ingredients like peanut butter, chocolate chips, and oats to make the most delicious oatmeal cookies.
Monster Cookie Ingredients
To make gluten-free monster cookies, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Peanut butter: I used unsweetened natural peanut butter that has a creamy consistency. It should be neither runny nor thick and solid to make sure the recipe works.
- Rolled oats: You’ll also need rolled oats for this recipe. If you want this recipe to be gluten-free, be sure to buy oats that explicitly state on their package that they’re gluten-free.
- Chocolate chips: Another key ingredient is chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. Just use the brand and type of chocolate chips you like most.
- Chocolate candies: Any type of small colored chocolate candy works for this recipe. I recommend using small M&Ms if you can find them.
- Sugar: You’ll need a combination of brown sugar and white sugar for this recipe. I like to use dark brown sugar so the cookies are extra chewy, but any type of brown sugar works!
- Butter: Another key ingredient is butter. It’s perfect for some additional flavor and it makes the cookies soft and delicious.
- Eggs: Use regular medium-sized eggs for this recipe.
- Vanilla extract: Be sure to use vanilla extract so the oatmeal dough has some extra flavor.
- Baking soda: Make sure to use baking soda and not baking powder. It’s perfect for making these cookies rise.
- Salt: If you don’t like salt in your cookies you can skip it. But I’d highly recommend using some salt to enhance the flavor of these cookies!
How to make gluten-free monster cookies
These monster cookies are super simple to make! Just follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven: Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- Whisk together the wet ingredients: Next, stir together the peanut butter, brown sugar, white sugar, and butter in a bowl. Then stir in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: In another bowl, whisk together the oats, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine: Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and candies: Then fold in the chocolate chips and chocolate candies.
- Shape and bake: Roll the dough into balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 12 minutes until the edges start to turn golden brown. Remove and let the cookies rest for a few minutes. Enjoy!
Tips & Notes
Here are a few things to keep in mind when you make these monster cookies.
- Make sure the peanut butter has the right consistency. It should be creamy, not too runny or thick. Otherwise, the cookies may turn out too flat or thick after baking them.
- Use small-sized chocolate candies. The bigger candies don’t work as nicely when they are used for cookies.
- Bake the cookies until the edges are barely browned. If the edges are already quite brown, the cookies aren’t going to be as soft. It’s always best to underbake cookies slightly if you are unsure.
Here are a few delicious variations of classic monster cookies:
- Peanuts: You can either use chopped peanuts or crunchy peanut butter for some extra texture and crunch.
- Cinnamon: You could also add some cinnamon for extra flavor. It goes really well with the peanut butter butter and chocolate chips!
- Quick oats: If you prefer a less textured cookie, you can use quick oats. For classic monster cookies, you’d usually use rolled oats butter quick oats work just as great!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, monster cookies always have peanut butter in them. It makes the cookies super chewy and adds a delicious peanutty flavor.
Monster cookies aren’t always gluten-free but this monster cookie recipe is! Just make sure to use oats that are gluten-free according to the package.
I’d recommend sticking to baking soda. Baking powder works differently and probably won’t give you the same results.
My favorite way to store monster cookies (and most other cookies) is by freezing them. You can easily thaw them at room temperature or by using a microwave. You can also store them in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
More simple and delicious dessert recipes
If you love all things sweet, make sure to check out the following recipes!
- Chocolate Chip Espresso Cookies
- Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- Double Chocolate Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Almond Flour Blueberry Muffins
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate candies like M&Ms
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- In a bowl, stir together the peanut butter, butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Then add in the eggs and vanilla. Stir again until combined.1 cup creamy peanut butter, ¼ cup butter, ¾ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup white sugar, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In another bowl, whisk together the oats, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.1 ½ cups rolled oats, ¾ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt
- Gently fold in the chocolate candies and chocolate chips.½ cup chocolate candies like M&Ms, ½ cup chocolate chips
- Roll the dough into balls or use a cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12 minutes until the edges start to brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them rest for a few minutes. Enjoy!