Turkish white bean salad (called piyaz) is a delicious side dish that tastes great with a variety of main dishes or as a topping for bowls. Plus, it is super easy to make and ready in no time!
If you like tangy and flavorful salads with a hint of spice, then this Turkish white bean salad might be just perfect for you! It is a classic side dish in Turkish cuisine and one of my favorites to add some extra deliciousness and protein to my meal.
The great thing is that you don’t need a lot of ingredients or time to make this white bean salad. You’ll only need 5 minutes and very basic ingredients to make this flavorful and nutritious side salad!
To make this Turkish white bean salad, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- White beans: You can make this recipe with either canned or dried beans. I recommend using canned beans as you don’t have to soak and cook them. You can use any type of white bean, but I’d recommend using cannellini beans or great northern beans. Small beans just don’t work as great in this recipe, so pick up one of the two I mentioned (preferably cannellini beans).
- Red onion: Turkish salads almost always use red onions or yellow onions. I’d recommend using red onions but yellow onions or white onions can be used as substitutes if you don’t have red onions on hand.
- Parsley: Parsley is the most used herb in Turkish salads. So definitely make sure to not skip it! Just use regular fresh parsley for this recipe.
- Lemon: Lemon lends some acidity and extra flavor. So definitely make sure to use it.
- Sumac: Sumac is used in many Turkish and Middle Eastern recipes. It has a very unique flavor and is great for adding acidity and aroma. You can find it in most Middle Eastern grocery stores. Just look for purple flakes/powder and you’ll find it!
- Red chili flakes: Turkish recipes always use pul biber (also called Aleppo pepper) when red chili flakes are needed. You can use other types of red chili flakes, but I’d recommend picking up some Aleppo pepper in a Middle Eastern grocery store. It has a different flavor compared to other red chili flakes and is great to have on hand if you like to prepare Middle Eastern foods!
- Extra virgin olive oil: Extra virgin olive oil is used for the dressing. Just use your favorite brand to make this delicious white bean salad!
How to make Turkish white bean salad
Preparing this Turkish white bean salad is really easy. Follow these steps:
- Prepare: Drain and rinse the canned white beans. Chop the parsley, slice the onion, and juice the lemon.
- Combine: Next, add all ingredients to a bowl. Then stir until everything is combined.
- Serve: Serve the white bean salad immediately or store it in your refrigerator.
There are different ways to make piyaz. This piyaz recipe is a classic version that uses the most basic ingredients. Here are some ingredients that many people like to add:
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are probably the one ingredient that most people like to add when they are making piyaz. So if you love tomatoes, feel free to add some!
- Lettuce: Another classic addition is lettuce. My favorite is romaine lettuce, but any other type of lettuce works, too.
- Pepper: If you like things extra spicy, you can add Turkish green chili peppers. They are often used for salads. And if you prefer something mild, you can use bell peppers.
- Eggs: You can top your piyaz with boiled eggs. Just cut them in half and spread them on the salad.
How to serve this white bean salad
This Turkish white bean salad is a great side dish as it goes really well with a variety of dishes! Here are some ideas on how to enjoy this salad.
- Kebab: If you love to make kebab at home, you can serve this white bean salad as a side dish! The lemony flavor of this salad goes super well with all types of meat.
- Salad: You can also use this white bean salad as a topping for a main dish salad. It adds some extra protein to your meal and is a fun addition.
- Mezze platter: Whenever I don’t have a lot of time to cook, I’ll make a mezze platter for dinner. And this white bean salad is a great addition! Other foods you can use are olives, crackers, pita bread, hummus, bell peppers, cucumbers, feta dip, and grapes.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is slightly spicy. So if you don’t like a lot of spice, I’d suggest starting with a small amount of red chili flake and adding only as much as you like. The other ingredients are very mild.
Sure! If you prefer dried white beans, you can definitely use them to make this salad. Just make sure to soak and cook them correctly.
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for a few days. The great thing about this salad is that it doesn’t become soggy. It tastes just as great the next day!
More quick and delicious salad recipes
If you love refreshing and easy salads, be sure to check out the following recipes.
- Turkish Dill Potato Salad
- Kisir (Turkish Bulgur Salad)
- Sumac Onions
- Cabbage Kidney Bean Salad
- Black Bean and Corn Salad
Turkish White Bean Salad
- 2 cans white beans drained and rinsed
- ½ red onion cut into fine slices
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ½ - 1 lemon juiced
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes (Aleppo pepper/pul biber)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- optional: tomatoes, lettuce, bell pepper
- Add all ingredients to a bowl. Then stir until everything is combined.
- Check if you want to add more salt, lemon juice, or red chili flakes. Then serve immediately or refrigerate. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply