Air fryer pizza rolls are super quick, simple, and delicious! All you need is an air fryer, homemade pizza dough, and your favorite toppings. Plus, you can freeze the pizza rolls to always have a delicious snack on hand!
Air fryer pizza rolls are a delicious combination of soft pizza dough, a flavorful pizza sauce, melty cheese, and your favorite toppings. They are perfect as a snack, party food, or for a quick lunch or dinner.
The great thing is that you can prepare a large batch that you can keep in your freezer. Just air fry the pizza rolls whenever you feel like enjoying them. They will taste just as delicious as fresh pizza rolls!
Air Fryer Pizza Rolls Ingredients
To make air fryer pizza rolls, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Flour: The best flour to use for pizza dough is Italian type 00 flour. It is very finely milled and perfect for smooth and delicious pizza dough. If you can’t find it, then feel free to use all-purpose flour instead.
- Instant dry yeast: I used instant dry yeast for this recipe as it’s very easy to work with. If you want to use another type of yeast, be sure to follow the package instructions for the specific yeast. You can’t add other types of yeast to the dry ingredients without activating the yeast first.
- Salt and sugar: You can use regular salt and white sugar for the homemade pizza dough.
- Water: You’ll need lukewarm water for this recipe. Be sure to not use hot water to make the pizza dough as it will kill the yeast.
- Olive oil: You can use your favorite extra virgin olive oil for this air fryer pizza roll recipe. It’s needed for the dough.
- Pizza sauce: There are many different brands of pizza sauce, all with different flavors. Just pick something that you like and use it for the pizza rolls. You can also add more seasonings and dried herbs to the pizza sauce if you like. Garlic powder, dried oregano, and dried basil are delicious additions.
- Shredded cheese: Shredded cheese is perfect for making homemade pizza rolls! You can use the type of cheese you'd usually use for pizza or casserole dishes, feel free to pick the one you like.
- Toppings: This is where you can just use whatever you like! I used canned and thoroughly drained tuna and red onion when I took the pictures for the post. You can also check out the section „Topping Combinations“ for more ideas.
How to make air fryer pizza rolls
Preparing air fryer pizza rolls is super simple! Just follow these steps:
- Prepare the dough: Add the flour, instant dry yeast, salt, and sugar to a mixing bowl. Then whisk until combined. Next, add the water and olive oil. Stir with a spatula, then knead the dough with your hands and shape it into a ball.
- Let the dough rise: Take the dough ball out of the bowl, add some olive oil to cover the bottom and sides, then add the dough back. Cover and let the dough rise in a warm spot for 60 minutes until it has doubled in size.
- Prepare the pizza rolls: Transfer the dough to a floured surface and separate it into two pieces. Take one ball and roll it into a rectangular. Then spread the pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings over the rolled-out dough. Now roll it up and cut it into 9 pieces using a sharp knife or floss.
- Air fry the pizza rolls: Preheat the air fryer to 375 °F (190 °C). Then place the pizza rolls in the air fryer basket lined with parchment paper. Air fry the pizza rolls for around 15 minutes until golden brown.
Tips & Notes
Here are a few short notes that I highly recommend reading through before trying this air fryer pizza roll recipe.
- Don’t use hot water when making the dough. Hot water will kill the yeast and the dough won’t rise. So be sure to use only lukewarm water.
- Prepare your dough the night before. If you don’t want to wait for the homemade pizza dough to rise, prepare it the night before and let the covered dough chill in the refrigerator. Making the dough the night before is very quick and will save you time when you are ready to use it!
- Let the dough rest in a warm place if you don’t prepare it the night before. The cooler the place, the longer it takes for the dough to rise. You also don’t want to store it in a place that is too warm. Try to find a place that’s a little bit warmer than your typical room temperature.
- If you use canned tuna (or other ingredients with moisture), drain it properly. Otherwise, the pizza rolls will be too moist on the inside even after baking them.
- Use a baking sheet for the air fryer basket. The first time I made these air fryer pizza rolls I didn’t use a baking sheet. The pizza rolls didn’t necessarily stick to the basket, but the bottom definitely burned. So make sure to use a baking sheet.
- Check on the pizza rolls as cook time may vary. Every air fryer works differently, so please check on the pizza rolls after 10 minutes and adjust the cook time as needed. For reference, I use the Cosori air fryer and 15 minutes is perfect for me.
- Make a large batch of pizza rolls and freeze them. Pizza rolls are perfect for prepping and freezing them in advance! You can then pop as many as you want into your air fryer and enjoy them.
You are welcome to pick any type of topping when making these air fryer pizza rolls. The following topping combinations are my personal favorites that I want to share for some inspiration.
- Canned tuna + red onion: This is my brother’s favorite combination and I definitely love it, too! Just make sure to thoroughly drain the canned tuna so your pizza rolls bake properly.
- Turkey breast slices + pineapple: This is probably a very controversial combo, but pineapple actually tastes great on pizza and in pizza rolls. The turkey breast slices go super well with pineapple and make for a delish pizza roll!
- Pepperoni + pickled jalapeños + red onion: You can definitely do only pepperoni but pickled jalapeños and red onion add more flavor and a little bit of heat. It’s one of my favorite combinations for pizza and pizza rolls!
- Mushrooms + zucchini + red bell pepper: If you like veggies, you can use this combination. Just make sure to cut the vegetable into small pieces so they cook within 15 minutes.
As mentioned before, air fryer pizza rolls are great for meal prep! Here is how you best store them.
- Freeze: You can freeze the pizza rolls before or after air frying them. I'd recommend freezing them after air frying so you don't have to let them thaw again. To freeze them, place them on a baking sheet or a freezer-friendly plate and place them in your freezer. Once they are frozen, transfer them to a freezer-friendly bag. You can freeze them for 2-3 months.
- Refrigerate: If you plan to enjoy your leftover pizza rolls the following day, you can just refrigerate them. They are good for 2-3 days.
- Reheat: You can reheat the pizza rolls in your air fryer. Frozen pre-baked pizza rolls take 3-6 minutes while frozen uncooked pizza rolls should be thawed and baked for 15-18 minutes. You can also reheat refrigerated pre-baked pizza rolls in the air fryer or in your microwave.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can. I would always recommend making pizza dough at home as it is really easy and fuss-free. It also tastes so much better and is cheaper. But if you are short on time, you are welcome to use store-bought pizza dough.
Homemade pizza rolls take about 15 minutes at 375 °F. If you use store-bought pizza rolls like Totino’s you’ll want to air fry them for 6-8 minutes.
You can enjoy pizza rolls as is or serve them alongside delicious dips or a side salad. If you want to make or buy a dip, make sure to prepare aioli! It tastes seriously great with pizza rolls.
Check out the section „storage tips“ for more information on storing and reheating air fryer pizza rolls.
More delicious and simple appetizer recipes
If you are looking for more quick and delicious appetizers or snacks, check out the following recipes.
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Gochujang Chicken Wings
- Batata Harra (Spicy Potatoes)
- Whipped Feta Dip
Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- 1 air fryer
Pizza Dough Ingredients
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 1 package instant dry yeast about 2 ¼ teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Pizza Roll Ingredients
- 1 ½ cups pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- toppings of choice like canned tuna, red onion, vegetables, pepperoni, pickled jalapeños, turkey breast slices, pineapple
- Add the flour, instant dry yeast, salt, and sugar to a mixing bowl. Then whisk thoroughly until combined.3 ½ cups flour, 1 package instant dry yeast, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon sugar
- Now add the water and olive oil to the same bowl. Use a spatula to fold in the flour. Then knead the dough with your hands for 5 minutes.1 cup lukewarm water, 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Take the dough ball out of the bowl, add some olive oil to the bowl to cover the bottom and sides, then place the dough ball in the bowl again. Cover and let the dough rise in a warm spot for around 40-60 minutes. The dough should double in size.
- Once the dough has risen, transfer it to a floured surface. Separate the dough ball into two smaller balls.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangular. Spread the pizza sauce over the pizza dough. Then add the shredded cheese and any topping you like.1 ½ cups pizza sauce, 2 cups shredded cheese, toppings of choice
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 °F (190 °C).
- Roll up the dough. Then cut it into 9 similar-sized pieces. You can use a sharp knife or floss to do this.
- Place the pizza rolls in the air fryer basket lined with parchment paper. Bake the pizza rolls for about 15 minutes until they are golden brown. Repeat for the second rectangular.
- Prepare the dough in advance: If you want to skip the resting time, prepare the dough the night before and let it chill in your refrigerator. Use it the next day as described in the recipe.
- Yeast: If you want to use another type of yeast, be sure to check the package instructions on how to use it. The recipe instructions here only work for instant dry yeast.
Leave a Reply