These crispy air fryer chicken wings are perfect if you're craving super flavorful, slightly spicy, and incredibly delicious wings. Plus, they are very easy to make in your air fryer with only a few ingredients needed!
If you’ve checked out some of my recipes, you may have noticed that I am a huge chicken wing lover! I usually love to make a marinade that covers the wings as I did in my teriyaki chicken wing recipe and my honey garlic chicken wing recipe.
But sometimes you just want wings that are deliciously seasoned and that don’t need any extra marinade (and extra time). That’s what these crispy air fryer chicken wings are all about!
They are made with the best chicken wing seasoning that can be whisked together in seconds. They are perfectly crisp and juicy. And they don’t create a mess as they can be prepared in your air fryer (in less than 15 minutes)!
To make these crispy air fryer chicken wings, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Chicken wings: Use regular chicken wings that are separated into wingette and drumette. If you don’t buy them already separated, you can cut them at home with a knife.
- Baking powder: Baking powder is my favorite ingredient to make chicken wings extra crispy and delicious. Just be sure to use baking powder and not baking soda.
- Seasoning: For the seasoning, you’ll need paprika powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, curry powder, ground nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Please make sure to use all of these ingredients as they are very important for the flavor!
How to make crispy air fryer chicken wings
Preparing crispy chicken wings in your air fryer is actually very simple! Just follow these steps:
- Preheat your air fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 375 °F (190 °C). It should take around 5 minutes (you can use the preheat button if your air fryer has one).
- Prep the chicken: Next, pat the wings dry and cut them into wingettes and drumettes. Then place them in a bowl.
- Season the wings: In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken wing seasoning. Add the seasoning to the wings and toss until they are evenly coated.
- Air fry the wings: Place the chicken wings in the air fryer basket in one layer. Air fry for around 13-15 minutes until the wings are crispy. Serve and enjoy!
Tips & Notes
Here are a few notes I recommend checking out to make sure that the wings turn out perfectly.
- Pat the wings dry. To make crispy chicken wings, the wings need to be dry. So just pat the wings dry with a paper towel before using them for the following steps.
- Don’t use baking soda. Please be sure to use baking powder. Baking soda won’t work and will make the wings taste horrible, so don’t mix them up. If you are looking for an alternative, you can use cornstarch. I haven’t tried it myself but other readers have successfully used it as a replacement.
- Adjust the cayenne pepper to taste. Cayenne pepper can be quite spicy, so be sure to use only as much as you like. Half a teaspoon makes the wings pleasantly spicy. So if you don’t like spicy foods, try using less or skip it entirely.
- Air fry the wings until crispy. As cooking time varies depending on the air fryer model you use, you may have to air fry them for longer. I’d stick with 13 minutes and then increase the cooking time as needed.
How to serve air fryer chicken wings
There are many different ways to enjoy chicken wings. Here are some ideas for you.
- Dips: When using a dry rub to make chicken wings, I often like to serve dips. You certainly don’t need a lot as these wings are super delicious just as they are! But you can definitely serve dips and sauces like sriracha mayo, bbq sauce, ranch dip, or even just ketchup.
- Carbs: If you want to turn the wings into a full meal, I recommend either serving rice or potatoes. Crispy smashed potatoes have been my latest obsession and I highly recommend trying them!
- Salad: If you want to create a more balanced meal, feel free to make a side salad! Fresh vegetables are always a great addition to your daily diet, whether you enjoy them as part of a meal or as a snack. I personally love this lemon arugula salad or Turkish shepherd’s salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
They are a little bit spicy. It’s not too much but you can definitely feel the heat. So if you prefer mild wings, use less cayenne pepper or skip it entirely.
Only if you make sure that you use gluten-free baking powder! The other ingredients are naturally gluten-free.
It really depends on the air fryer you use! I recommend air frying the wings for 13 minutes at 375°F. From there, increase the time until the wings are crispy. The cooking time should be somewhere between 13-17 minutes.
You can store leftover chicken wings in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can also freeze the wings for a few months if you won’t be able to finish them in time.
That’s super simple! Just preheat the air fryer using the same temperature, place the wings in the basket, and air fry them until they are hot again. These wings taste just as great when they are reheated in an air fryer!
More simple and delicious appetizer recipes
If you love appetizers and delicious snack foods, I recommend checking out the following recipes. They are super tasty and very simple to prepare!
- Gochujang Chicken Wings
- Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Batata Harra (Spicy Potatoes)
- Cig Kofte
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 1 air fryer
- 1 pound chicken wings wingette and drummette separated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder aluminum-free
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 °F (190°C).
- Pat the chicken wings dry and place the separated wings in a bowl.1 pound chicken wings
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the chicken seasoning. Add the seasoning to the separated chicken wings and toss until the wings are evenly coated.1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon paprika powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ¼ teaspoon curry powder, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place the chicken wings in the air fryer basket in one layer and air fry for around 13-15 minutes until the wings are crispy. Enjoy!