This kimchi ramen recipe is my go-to whenever I am craving something warm, spicy, and delicious. It is perfect for lunch or a weeknight dinner as it's very quick and easy to whip up.
Kimchi ramen is a super delicious dish that is perfect when you don’t have a lot of time to cook but still want a warm and tasty meal. The great thing is that you can modify this recipe and switch up the flavor so it fits your taste and never gets boring!
Plus, you only need very simple ingredients that are easy to find and that can be stored in your pantry or refrigerator so you can whip up this delicious ramen whenever you want.
Kimchi Ramen Ingredients
To make kimchi ramen, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Instant ramen: You can use the brand of instant ramen that has your favorite noodles for this recipe. You won’t need the seasoning package so the flavor doesn’t really matter (unless you want to use it in case you don’t have vegetable broth on hand). I love to buy Neoguri instant ramen as the noodles are a little thicker which I love!
- Kimchi: You can use either store-bought or homemade kimchi. But if you’ve ever been curious about making your own kimchi at home, I’d say go for it! It really tastes so much more flavorful. Plus, you can prepare a large batch and store it in the refrigerator for future usage. You can find many recipes online, so just pick one and adjust it as needed to make it suit your taste.
- Firm tofu: I love to add some firm tofu to add some extra protein and variation to the dish. If you don’t like it you can skip it or substitute it with other protein sources.
- Green onion: Green onion is another delicious ingredient that really elevates the flavor of this quick ramen recipe. So be sure to use it!
- Garlic (optional): I skip garlic most of the time as I use plenty of it in my kimchi. But if you’re using store-bought kimchi that isn’t as garlicky, you may want to add a garlic clove to your kimchi ramen.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are a great vegetable for dishes like ramen as they go super well with the other ingredients. You can use regular brown mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms if you want.
- Sauces and seasoning: You’ll need oyster sauce, soy sauce, gochujang (Korean red pepper paste), and gochugaru (Korean red chili flakes) for the broth. The ingredients are perfect for making the ramen taste slightly spicy with a tiny hint of sweetness. All ingredients can be found online or in most Asian grocery stores.
- Vegetable or chicken broth: For the soup base, you’ll need vegetable or chicken broth. You can use other types of stock, too. Whenever I use shrimp I go for some type of seafood stock.
How to make kimchi ramen
One of my favorite things about this kimchi ramen recipe is that it is super quick and easy to prepare! It’s one of the recipes that’s just perfect on busy days or when you’re craving spicy Korean-style instant ramen. Here are the steps to follow:
- Sauté: First, preheat some vegetable oil in a small pot over medium heat. Then sauté the white parts of the green onion, garlic (optional), kimchi, and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes. Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, gochujang, and gochugaru. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Simmer: Now add the vegetable broth, instant ramen noodles, sliced tofu, and green onion. Cook for 4-5 minutes according to the package instructions.
- Serve: Garnish with toppings like extra green onions, sliced chili peppers, or a drizzle of sesame oil. Enjoy!
Tips & Notes
Here are a few quick notes that you can check out before making this kimchi ramen.
- Check the ramen package instructions for cook time and the amount of liquid needed. As both can vary depending on the brand you use, I recommend adjusting the recipe as needed and sticking to the package instructions.
- Use the instant ramen seasoning package if you want to. I discard it when I make this kimchi ramen as I like to season the soup myself, but the seasoning packages taste really good. So if the one you bought goes well with the other ingredients and you want to use it, feel free to go for it. Just know that some of them are quite spicy, so be sure to adjust the recipe as needed. If you use the seasoning package, I recommend using water instead of vegetable broth.
- Add more soy sauce and gochugaru to taste. If you want to use more soy sauce or gochugaru to make the ramen saltier or spicier, you can definitely add more to taste!
This kimchi ramen recipe is perfect for putting your own spin on it! Here are a few things I like to change to switch things up:
- Vegetables: There are many other vegetables that go well with instant ramen noodles! Other favorites of mine are baby spinach, wakame, julienned carrots, broccoli, and bok choy. Feel free to use the vegetables you love most.
- Protein: You could also skip the tofu and use shrimp or eggs instead! They all taste great.
- Broth: And if you want to change the flavor of the broth, you can definitely do so. I sometimes add some doenjang (Korean soybean paste) or I’ll use another type of broth like seafood stock.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it is. As kimchi is quite spicy, this kimchi ramen does pack some heat. So if you don’t like spicy foods, then this recipe won’t be the one for you. But you could check out other delicious noodle recipes like shrimp chow mein or chicken yaki udon.
This kimchi ramen is spicy, rich in flavor, and has a hint of sweetness. It combines delicious chewy instant ramen noodles with fresh vegetables and super flavorful kimchi.
Sure! Just use vegan oyster sauce and vegan gochujang. Most instant ramen noodles are vegan, but you can check the package for the ingredients and label.
More simple and delicious Asian recipes
If you love Korean and other Asian foods, feel free to check out the following recipes. They taste incredibly delicious and are very easy to make!
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 green onion sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 garlic clove (optional) minced
- ¼ - ⅓ cup kimchi plus extra kimchi on the side
- 2 medium-sized mushrooms stems removed, sliced
- ½ tablespoon oyster sauce
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce more to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoon gochujang
- 1 teaspoon gochugaru more to taste
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth or another type of suitable stock such as dashi or seafood stock
- 1 package instant ramen seasoning package discarded
- ⅓ block firm tofu moisture removed, cut into slices
- fresh chili peppers, green onions, sesame oil as toppings, optional
- Preheat some oil in a pot over medium heat. Then sauté the white parts of the green onion, garlic (optional), kimchi, and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes.½ tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 green onion, ¼ - ⅓ cup kimchi, 2 medium-sized mushrooms, 1 garlic clove (optional)
- Next, add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, gochujang, and gochugaru. Sauté for 1 minute.½ tablespoon oyster sauce, ½ tablespoon soy sauce, 1 ½ teaspoon gochujang, 1 teaspoon gochugaru
- Now add in the vegetable broth and stir everything. Place the instant ramen noodles, sliced tofu, and the remaining green onion parts in the pot. Cover with the lid and let everything cook for 4-5 minutes depending on the noodles you use.2 cups vegetable or chicken broth, 1 package instant ramen, ⅓ block firm tofu
- Garnish with toppings of choice and enjoy!fresh chili peppers, green onions, sesame oil
Leave a Reply