This Mediterranean garlic yogurt sauce with carrot and eggplant is a family favorite for dinner. It pairs well with a variety of dishes, is quick and easy to make and tastes super delicious.
This garlic yogurt sauce with sautéed carrot and eggplant is the one my mom loves to make when I come over for dinner since I love it so much. I seriously put it on top of everything! The reason I love it so much: it tastes suuuper amazing! I know, it looks like any other yogurt sauce. But just imagine the following: fresh yogurt, flavorful garlic, sweet carrots and eggplants sautéed in high-quality olive oil. Now combine these ingredients and you have a garlicky yogurt sauce with the natural sweetness and bite of carrots and eggplants with a hint of olive oil aroma. Now add the fact that this Mediterranean yogurt sauce is healthy and you’ll understand why I love it so much. And I am quite convinced that all my yogurt and garlic lovers will feel the same way!
To make this garlic yogurt sauce, you only need some basic ingredients that you might already have in your refrigerator. Here is a short list for you:
- Olive oil. Make sure you use extra virgin olive oil.
How to make Mediterranean garlic yogurt sauce
You will love how easy it is to make this garlic yogurt sauce! All you need to do is follow these super simple steps.
- Prepare the vegetables. Simply cut the carrot and eggplant into cubes and mince the garlic.
- Sauté in a pan with olive oil. Start by sautéing the carrot cubes first as they tend to need more time than the eggplant. When they start to soften a bit, add the eggplant cubes. Sauté both until they are soft enough. Transfer them to a bowl and let the sautéed vegetables cool.
- Mix. When the vegetables have cooled down, add the yogurt and garlic to the bowl and mix everything. Enjoy!
Here is a quick time saving tip for you: I love to sauté the carrot and eggplant before I start making the main dish. This way, they can cool while you take care of the other components of your meal.
Here are a few ways to modify the recipe:
- Make it a thicker dip: If you want the yogurt sauce to have a thicker consistency, try using greek yogurt. I usually go for plain yogurt that is thinner as I like to drizzle the sauce on top of veggies, potatoes or meat. But if you want to make a dip or spread for bread, then the thicker consistency might work better.
- Make it vegan: If you want this recipe to be vegan, make it with your favorite vegan yogurt. I must admit I haven’t tried it myself, but I think that cashewmilk yogurt would work fine as it has a pretty neutral taste. Totally let me know if you try out a vegan version!
- Adjust the amount of garlic: Garlic is always one of those controversial ingredients. The amount I use in the recipe should work for most people. If you want to add some extra garlicky flavor, just add more garlic.
Serving garlic yogurt sauce with carrot and eggplant
You might wonder how I combine this super yummy yogurt sauce. Here are a few meals I love to enjoy the garlic yogurt sauce with:
- Sheet pan vegetables: I looove sheet pan dinners! You simply coat your favorites veggies (potatoes are a must!) with some avocado or olive oil and spices and let them bake in the oven. Serve them with this recipe and you have a super yummy and healthy dinner!
- Baked chicken: This sauce tastes great with baked chicken thighs. I don’t know the magic behind this combination, but it is super super good!
- Bread: I feel like garlicky dips and bread were just meat to be eaten together. And I totally recommend this option!
Let me know how you like to combine this garlic yogurt sauce with sautéed vegetables! I love reading your comments and trying out some of your suggestions.
You guys know I am all for prepping meals in advance. The same applies to this sauce! Here are a few tips for you:
- Meal prep: If you want to prepare a bit more of this Mediterranean garlic yogurt sauce and keep it, then I recommend not mixing things! Just store the sautéed vegetables in a container and add the garlic and yogurt before serving. This prevents the garlic from becoming too strong in flavor.
- Storing leftovers: If you have made too much of the sauce, store it in a container and keep it in the refrigerator. Just add more yogurt before serving to neutralize the strong garlicky flavors that might have developed.
You can store the yogurt sauce for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
More Mediterranean recipes
If you love Mediterranean cooking, then totally check out these recipes! They are all healthy, easy to make and super delish.
Mediterranean Garlic Yogurt Sauce with Carrot and Eggplant
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 carrot
- ¼ eggplant
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- salt to taste
- Add the olive oil to a pan and preheat the pan over medium heat.
- Cut the carrot and eggplant into small cubes. Mince the garlic.
- Next, add the carrot cubes to the pan and sauté them until they start to soften. Then, add the eggplant to the pan and sauté until both vegetables have softened. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and let them cool.
- When the vegetables have cooled down, add the garlic and yogurt to the bowl. Add some salt to taste and mix everything.