This teriyaki tofu stir fry recipe is a super quick and delicious dish that is perfect for a healthy weeknight dinner. It combines a delicious teriyaki stir fry sauce with fresh vegetables and tofu. Served with rice or noodles, this dish makes for the perfect dinner!
Teriyaki sauce is not only perfect for making classic teriyaki chicken or teriyaki salmon. It also makes for a delicious stir fry sauce that combines sweet and umami flavors. Throw in some fresh vegetables and seared tofu and you’ll have this teriyaki tofu stir fry recipe that is simply perfect for a quick, healthy, and delicious dinner!
To make this teriyaki tofu stir fry fry, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Extra-firm tofu: I recommend using extra-firm tofu for stir fry recipes, as it is very low in moisture. If you don’t have or can’t find extra-firm tofu, you can use firm tofu. Just make sure you press the tofu long enough to get rid of any excess moisture.
- Vegetables: This recipe is made with broccoli, carrots, red bell pepper, and green onion. Feel free to substitute any of these veggies if you don’t like them or want to use other leftover vegetables.
- Aromatics: Garlic and ginger should always be part of a delicious stir fry. Only a little bit of these two ingredients is enough to give this stir fry lots of flavor without being overpowering.
- Homemade teriyaki sauce: You’ll need soy sauce, mirin, sake, and honey to make a homemade teriyaki sauce. The ingredients can be found in most grocery stores. If you want to make this teriyaki sauce gluten-free, use tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch is used to thicken the stir fry sauce.
How to make this teriyaki tofu stir fry
Just follow these simple steps to make this easy teriyaki tofu stir fry:
- Sear the tofu: Preheat some oil in a large pan over medium-high heat and sear the tofu until it has a golden color. Take the tofu out of the pan and set it aside.
- Sauté the vegetables and aromatics: Sauté the vegetables and aromatics for 1-2 minutes over medium heat. The vegetables should still be crisp at this point.
- Add the teriyaki sauce and cornstarch slurry: Now add the teriyaki sauce and let it simmer. Slowly pour the cornstarch slurry into the pan and continuously stir everything while the sauce simmers. Only add as much of the cornstarch slurry as you need!
- Combine, garnish and serve: Add back the tofu and cover it with the sauce. Garnish with green onion and serve!
- Press the tofu: Make sure you press the tofu to get rid of any excess moisture! To press the tofu, cut it in half so that you have to thin slices. Then wrap the tofu in a paper towel and press. Change the paper towel and repeat until there is no moisture left. Then cut the tofu into cubes.
- Sear the tofu without constant flipping: Just leave the tofu cubes alone while they are in the pan and only give them an occasional flip. This allows the tofu to become crisper.
- Don’t overcook the vegetables: As the vegetables cook a few more minutes with the sauce, the vegetables should still be crisp when you add the teriyaki sauce. That way you’ll have perfectly cooked veggies for your stir fry!
- Don’t use too much cornstarch: The amount of cornstarch slurry you should use can vary. Therefore slowly pour the cornstarch into the pan, stir and wait before you add more. This ensures that your sauce has the perfect consistency! Otherwise, you might end up with a super thick sauce.
Serving this teriyaki tofu stir fry
The great thing about this teriyaki tofu stir fry recipe is that you can serve it in many different ways! Here are some ideas for you:
- Basmati rice: Basmati rice is my favorite type of rice for most Asian dishes. I can absolutely recommend serving this teriyaki tofu stir fry over a bowl of fluffy basmati rice.
- Soba noodles: If you want to make this a teriyaki noodle stir fry, cook soba noodles and add them to the pan. Stir everything and serve!
- Udon noodles: Udon noodles are another great option for making this recipe a delicious noodle stir fry.
More delicious and easy dinner recipes
The following recipes are all perfect for preparing a delicious, healthy, and easy dinner. So if you are looking for new recipes, definitely try one of them!
- Veggie Tofu Stir Fry
- Soba Noodle Salad with Ginger Soy Dressing
- Teriyaki Salmon
- Coconut Chickpea Curry
- Thai Peanut Curry
Teriyaki Tofu Stir Fry
Stir Fry Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or vegetable oil
- 7 oz extra-firm tofu pressed and cut into small cubes
- 1 ½ cups broccoli florets
- 1 carrot cut into slices or matchsticks
- ½ red bell pepper cut into dices or slices
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- green onion sliced, for serving
Teriyaki Sauce Ingredients
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce alternatives: tamari or coconut aminos
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 4 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat half of the oil over medium-high heat in a large pan. Then sear the tofu until it has a golden color. Take the tofu out of the pan and set aside.
- Add the other half of the oil to the pan. Sauté the broccoli, carrot, red bell, garlic, and ginger pepper for 1-2 minutes over medium heat. The vegetables should still be crisp at this point.
- Add the teriyaki sauce to the pan and let it simmer. While the sauce simmers, add the cornstarch slurry and stir until the sauce is thick enough. Only use as much cornstarch as you need.
- Add back the tofu and stir until the tofu is covered with the sauce. Serve and garnish with green onion. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply