Stuffed pepper soup is a simple and flavorful dish that combines a delicious tomato-based broth with perfectly cooked rice, fresh bell pepper and ground turkey or beef. If you are already a fan of stuffed peppers, you will love this soup!
This stuffed pepper soup recipe is super simple, but has tons of flavor! The great thing is that it tastes just like stuffed peppers, except that this is a soup. Sounds a bit crazy, but it definitely is super delicious! Plus, this soup is a full meal that is healthy and satiating. The veggies and ground turkey (or beef) make the soup very nutritious and high in protein, which is great for keeping you full and well-nourished.
The ingredients for making this healthy stuffed pepper soup are super simple. Here is what you’ll need:
- Ground turkey or ground beef. Both options work great with this recipe. Just go with your own preferences.
- Bell pepper. I recommend using green and yellow bell peppers for making this dish. Green bell peppers add a subtle bitterness and yellow bell peppers some sweetness. They are perfect for making this soup.
- Onion and garlic. These two are a must in most soups. They add lots of flavor and are the most powerful combination.
- Liquids. The soup broth is made with tomato passata (strained tomatoes), canned diced tomatoes, and beef/chicken broth. This combination makes the most wonderful broth for a stuffed pepper soup. It is very flavorful, but not too intense. Plus, it has some tomato dices, which I think is a must for stuffed peppers and a stuffed pepper soup.
- Tomato paste. Tomato paste helps to intensify the flavor of the broth, so don’t skip it!
- Spices. You’ll need paprika powder and Italian seasoning for this recipe. They make a delicious spice mix for Mediterranean recipes.
- Rice. You can use the type of rice you love. I often use brown rice for making this easy stuffed pepper soup.
- Parsley. Parsley goes super well with this soup and I recommend using it for garnishing the soup. But, if you don’t like parsley, just skip it.
How to make healthy stuffed pepper soup
Preparing this stuffed pepper soup is super easy! Just follow these simple steps:
- Cook rice. Cook the rice according to package instruction and set aside until the soup is ready to be served.
- Sauté. First, sauté the garlic, onion, and meat in a preheated pot. When the meat has browned, add salt, pepper and tomato paste. Stir everything and then add the bell pepper. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Simmer. Next, add the liquids and spices to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the bell pepper is tender.
- Serve. Add the cooked rice to the pot or to the single soup servings. Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
What to serve with this soup
You don’t necessarily need any sides as this stuffed pepper soup is already very filling. Plus, it has lots of great ingredients. So I often enjoy the soup as it is. But, you can definitely serve the soup with a salad, like this Mediterranean cucumber tomato salad, and some bread.
Can I freeze stuffed pepper soup?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze this soup! In fact, I recommend making a large batch of soup and freezing some of it. Just make sure you don’t add the rice to the soup before freezing it, as it becomes mushy when it is reheated. Simply cook the rice when you reheat the soup and then add it. The soup lasts for up to 2 months in the freezer.
If you prefer to store the soup in your refrigerator, store the rice and soup separately as the rice soaks up the liquid. You can store the soup for 3 days in your refrigerator.
More healthy soup recipes
Soup recipes are great as they taste super delish and can easily be frozen. If you want to make more healthy soups, try out one of these recipes:
- Turkish Lentil Soup
- Homemade Chicken Soup
- Best White Bean Chicken Chili
- Easy Lasagna Soup
- Creamy Carrot Potato Soup
Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 1 tbsp avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups tomato passata
- 2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 cup rice uncooked
- parsley chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Add the olive oil to a large pot and preheat it over medium heat.
- Cook the rice according to package instructions and let it sit until the soup is ready to be served.
- Sauté the garlic, onion and ground beef/turkey in the pot until it has browned.
- Add salt, pepper and tomato paste to the pot and stir until everything is combined. Then, add the bell pepper and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Now, add the canned tomatoes, tomato passata, beef/chicken broth and spices to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot and let everything simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the bell pepper is tender.
- Add the cooked rice to the soup, give it a stir and check if you need to add more salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley (optional) and enjoy!
- Serving: If you think there will be leftovers, don’t add the rice to the pot of soup. Instead, add the rice to the separate soup servings. The reason: when you add the rice to the soup and later store it in the refrigerator, it soaks up the liquid and becomes mushy. So separate the rice and soup if you plan on having leftovers.
- Meat: You can decide if you prefer ground turkey or ground beef to make this dish. Both taste great! The nutrition facts were calculated for a stuffed bell pepper soup using ground turkey.