Sweet potato lentil curry is a flavorful vegetarian dish that is filled with nutritious vegetables and is high in plant-based protein. Serve this curry with rice, bread, or as a soup for a delicious and healthy meal!
This sweet potato lentil curry is perfect for all of my vegan and vegetarian friends out there! I just love that this curry is super simple, incredibly delicious, and very healthy. Plus, you can easily make a large batch of this curry to feed your family or prep a few extra servings in advance.
To make this easy sweet potato lentil curry, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Lentils: To make things as simple as possible, I recommend using green lentils for this recipe. They have the same cooking time as the sweet potatoes which means that you can just let your curry simmer once you have added all ingredients to the pot. But if you prefer another type of lentils, feel free to use them. Just make sure you check their cook time so the curry doesn’t become mushy.
- Sweet potato: Simply use regular sweet potatoes for making this dish.
- Extra vegetables and aromatics: To give this curry lots of flavor and more texture, I like to add a few aromatics and extra vegetables. You’ll need an onion, garlic, ginger, chile pepper (optional), and baby spinach.
- Liquids: The sauce for this curry is made with coconut milk and vegetable broth.
- Spices: Curry powder and ground cumin are the spices that make this sweet potato lentil curry super tasty.
- Honey and lime juice: The lime juice brightens the flavor of this curry and the honey is needed to balance the acidity. They make a delicious combo!
- Thai red curry paste: Thai red curry paste is one of the key ingredients in this recipe. It brings tons of flavor and is an absolute must!
- Cilantro (optional): And if you love to garnish your dishes, feel free to add chopped cilantro to this vegetarian lentil curry.
How to make this sweet potato lentil curry
Making this sweet potato lentil curry is super easy! Just follow these steps:
- Sauté the aromatics: Preheat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Then, sauté the onion, garlic, ginger, and chile pepper (optional) until the onion is translucent.
- Let the curry simmer: Next, add the lentils, sweet potato, and curry sauce ingredients to the pot and bring the curry to a gentle simmer. Cover the pot and let the curry simmer for 25-35 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and serve: Stir in the baby spinach and lime juice. Garnish and serve!
You can serve this curry in many different ways. Here are some of my favorites:
- Soup: Yup, I love to turn this sweet potato lentil curry into a soup. Since the curry is already super satiating, I will add a bit more of the vegetable broth and serve it as a soup with some bread on the side. Definitely try it, it tastes amazing!
- Cauliflower rice: I absolutely recommend serving this curry with cauliflower rice. Since I find the curry itself very filling, I love to serve it with cauliflower rice instead of regular rice.
- Basmati rice: If you prefer to have regular rice, absolutely go for it! I love basmati rice but you can use any type of rice you like.
More delicious and easy recipes
I am all for creating healthy, easy, and delicious recipes. Here are some of my favorites you might love!
- Coconut Chickpea Curry
- Lentil Potato Soup
- Balsamic Lentil Salad
- Sweet Potato Pumpkin Soup
- Vegetable Lentil Soup
Sweet Potato Lentil Curry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1 chile pepper (optional) minced
- 1 cup green lentils rinsed
- 1 pound sweet potato peeled and diced
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- cilantro for garnishing
Curry Sauce Ingredients
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon honey or another sweetener of choice
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, ginger, and chile pepper (optional) until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the lentils, sweet potato, and curry sauce ingredients to the pot. Stir everything and bring the curry to a gentle simmer. Cover the pot and let the curry simmer for 25-35 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Next, stir in the baby spinach and lime juice. Serve and garnish with cilantro (optional). Enjoy!