This white bean and kale soup is a simple and delicious soup that is ready in no time! It is packed with wholesome ingredients, tastes great with your favorite bread, and is just perfect for a cozy dinner at home.
White bean and kale soup is a vegan soup that is packed with flavor. Even if you aren’t vegan, I’m sure you’ll love this soup! It is healthy, warming, and super delicious.
Plus, it is super simple to make! It is one of my favorite soups to enjoy after work as it is so easy to whip up.
Is white bean soup healthy?
Yes, white bean soup is very healthy! It is packed with so many nutritious vegetables and spices that make this soup very delicious and nutrient-rich.
White beans, which are the main ingredient in this soup, are packed with fiber, protein, and micronutrients like magnesium, iron, and vitamin B6. They are an amazing ingredient to integrate into your diet.
So feel free to enjoy this kale and bean soup for a healthy lunch or dinner!
To make this white bean and kale soup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- White beans: You can use any kind of canned white beans for this recipe. I like to use cannellini beans, but feel free to use another kind of white beans.
- Kale: Just use regular kale to make this delicious kale and bean soup.
- Mirepoix: You can’t make this soup without a classic mirepoix! Carrots, celery, onion, and garlic (technically not part of a classic mirepoix, but so delicious) make this soup incredibly flavorful and healthy.
- Vegetable broth: Vegetable broth is the perfect base for making delicious vegan and vegetarian soups.
- Spices: Red chili flakes, dried thyme, and ground cumin give this soup some extra flavorful to make it the best white bean soup!
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice perfectly complements the spices used in this recipe. It creates a wonderful balances and adds some acidity to the soup. So please don’t omit the lemon juice!
How to make white bean and kale soup
Preparing this white bean and kale soup is super easy! Just follow these steps:
- Sauté the mirepoix vegetables: Preheat some olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Then sauté the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the liquid, spices, and simmer: Next, add the vegetable broth, red chili flakes, dried thyme, ground cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine, cover the pot, and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and simmer: Now add in the white beans and let the soup simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Blend: Partially blend the soup with an immersion blender to make everything creamier.
- Stir in the kale and lemon juice: To finish off, stir in the kale and lemon juice. Serve and enjoy!
I recommend reading the following notes before making the soup just to be sure that everything turns out perfectly.
- Add more red chili flakes, lemon juice, or lemon zest if needed. The amount of red chili flakes adds a hint of spice, but doesn’t make the soup spicy. So add more red chili flakes if you prefer a spicier soup. For more acidity add lemon juice, and for more lemon aroma add some lemon zest.
- Don’t forget to blend the soup before adding the kale. You can blend all other ingredients, but the kale tastes best when it is roughly chopped and not blended. So be sure to blend everything before you add it to the soup.
- Don’t blend the soup for too long. Only blend for a few seconds, then stir, and then blend again. Repeat until you are happy with the soup’s texture.
The soup tastes great as is, but here are some ideas for additional add-ins that I absolutely love!
- Potatoes: Potatoes are a very delicious addition to this soup! They are perfect for adding some extra carbs and when blended, they make the soup extra thick and creamy. So definitely add some potatoes if you have some on hand.
- Chicken: If you aren’t vegan or vegetarian, you can add shredded chicken to this soup. It tastes great, adds some extra protein, and is simply delicious.
- Chicken broth: Again, this only applies if you aren’t vegan or vegetarian. I love to use chicken broth for making soups, so feel free to substitute the vegetable broth with it.
Frequently Asked Questions
I recommend using canned beans for this recipe as they don’t need to be soaked or cooked for hours. Canned beans taste just as delicious and are perfect for making this soup. If you want to use dried beans, just be sure to soak and cook the beans in advance.
You really don’t need a lot of side dishes to serve alongside this kale and bean soup. Just get your favorite bread and enjoy it with this soup! It’s perfectly satisfying and very fuss-free.
I recommend storing this soup in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 4-5 days. You can reheat it on the stove or in a microwave.
More warming and flavorful soups
If you are looking for more soup recipes to make this fall and winter, then check out the following recipes. They are all super flavorful and healthy!
White Bean and Kale Soup
- Immersion blender
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 ½ cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes more to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans white beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice more to taste
- Preheat some olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Then sauté the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery until the onion turns translucent.
- Next, add the vegetable broth, salt, pepper, red chili flakes, dried thyme, and ground cumin. Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the beans, cover the pot, and let the soup simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Spot blend the soup for a few seconds to make the soup creamier.
- Stir in the kale and add the lemon juice. Serve and enjoy!