This cilantro garlic sauce is creamy, flavorful, and incredibly delicious! Just drizzle it over your favorite taco bowl, use it as a sauce when making burritos or serve it as a dipping sauce with crispy baked chicken wings to enjoy it.
If you love the combination of garlic and cilantro, you have to make this creamy cilantro garlic sauce! I love it as it is very easy to prepare, it tastes amazing, and it’s super versatile. I usually combine the sauce with homemade burritos or tacos but feel free to get creative. This creamy garlic sauce truly goes well with almost anything!
To make this cilantro garlic sauce, you’ll need the following ingredients.
- Cilantro: Cilantro is one of my favorite herbs for sauces and dips! Just use regular cilantro to make the sauce. You can use the leaves and the soft stems.
- Garlic: Garlic is another reason why this sauce is so good. It’s definitely necessary to make this creamy sauce go from good to amazing!
- Mayo: Mayo is the perfect base for making creamy sauces. It is actually the main ingredient in Pollo Tropical’s cilantro garlic sauce that some of you might know and love. So I definitely made sure to use mayo as part of this garlic sauce recipe.
- Sour cream and greek yogurt: These are the other two ingredients you’ll need for the base of this sauce. Sour cream and yogurt make the sauce lighter and add extra creaminess and tanginess which I absolutely love!
- Lime juice (optional): I often skip the lime juice or add only a tiny bit as I find that the sour cream and greek yogurt add enough acidity to the sauce, but you can definitely use some if you want to!
How to make cilantro garlic sauce
Making this cilantro garlic sauce is super easy and effortless! Just follow these steps:
- Blend: Add all ingredients to a food processor. Then blend until everything is smooth and creamy.
- Adjust and serve: Check if you want to add some lime juice or salt. Then adjust the consistency with some water if needed. Serve and enjoy!
Tips for making the best cilantro garlic sauce
Preparing this cilantro garlic sauce is pretty simple but keep the following things in mind.
- Start with no lime juice and salt: The sauce can become too sour or salty very quickly so I’d recommend first blending everything and then adding lime juice and salt as needed. You only need very small amounts, so be careful when you add those two ingredients.
- Adjust the amount of garlic: I like to adjust the amount of garlic sauce depending on how I plan on serving the cilantro garlic sauce. You can definitely taste the garlic if you use 2 garlic cloves, so use less if you want a milder flavor.
- Thin the sauce: I usually thin the sauce depending on how I want to use the sauce. Just use very small amounts when you add the water and you’ll be fine!
Can I make this creamy garlic sauce without a food processor?
Yes, you can definitely make this sauce without a food processor! Just mince the garlic and chop the cilantro with a knife. Then mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and add the lime juice, salt, and water to taste.
Ways to use cilantro sauce
There are so many ways to use this flavorful sauce! These are some of my favorites.
- Tacos: You absolutely have to make this sauce for tacos! It goes very well with all kinds of tacos and complements them perfectly. My personal favorite is shrimp tacos but you choose what you love most!
- Chicken Wings: Another way to enjoy this sauce is by using it as a dipping sauce for crispy chicken wings. It’s such a delicious combination!
- Burritos: If you love to make homemade burritos, you have to make this sauce. It makes everything taste so much better!
- Bowls: And if you prefer delicious bowls, thin the sauce with some water and drizzle it over your bowl. I also love adding this black bean and corn salad to my bowls. It’s really good!
- Stuffed Potatoes: If you are a fan of stuffed potatoes, consider making this cilantro sauce. I love to use the sauce with Mexican-style sweet potatoes!
You can store the sauce in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to one week. If you know in advance that you’ll probably have leftovers, set some of the cilantro garlic sauce aside before adding the garlic as its taste becomes very pungent after only one day in the refrigerator.
More delicious dips and sauces
Delicious dips and sauces can make any meal or snack so much better! These are some of my favorite recipes.
Cilantro Garlic Sauce
- Food processor
- ⅓ cup cilantro leaves and soft stems
- 1-2 garlic cloves peeled
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- lime juice and salt to taste only if needed
- water to thin the sauce
- Add all ingredients to a food processor.
- Blend until the cilantro garlic sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Check if you want to add some lime juice, water (to thin the sauce), or salt.
- Adding lime juice and salt: If you decide to add some lime juice and salt, start with very small amounts! The sauce can become too salty or sour very quickly, so start with less and add some more as needed.
- Thin the sauce: Depending on how you want to use the sauce, you have to thin it. I usually use 1-2 tablespoons of water. Again, start with less and add more as you go.
- No food processor: If you don't have a food processor, simply mince the garlic and chop the cilantro with a knife and mix all ingredients in a bowl.