These air fryer cajun wings are crispy, juicy, and seasoned with the most delicious homemade Cajun seasoning! They are perfect for dinner, parties, or as a savory snack. Plus, they are super simple to make in an air fryer and always turn out amazing!
Chicken wings are definitely one of the most delicious comfort foods. They are crispy, juicy, packed with flavor, and super easy to make at home! Plus, they can be served alongside a simple side salad and baked potatoes to turn them into a filling meal.
I already have a few chicken wing recipes on the blog that I absolutely love (I recommend checking out my gochujang chicken wings!) but these air fryer cajun wings have made it to the top of my favorites list! They are super crispy, perfectly seasoned, and taste simply amazing.
So if you love bold flavors with a hint of spice, I recommend giving these Cajun chicken wings a try! They truly never disappoint and are super easy to make in your air fryer.
Air Fryer Cajun Wings Ingredients
To make these air fryer cajun wings you'll need the following ingredients:
- Chicken wings: You can either buy chicken wings that are already separated into wingette and drumette or separate the parts yourself.
- Cajun seasoning: You can use a store-bought Cajun seasoning or make your own. If you have some extra time and access to all spices needed, I'd highly recommend using the homemade version! It's just a lot more flavorful and delicious. Plus, you can use the spices for a variety of other recipes, such as air fryer chicken breasts or shredded chicken tacos.
- Baking powder: Baking powder makes the chicken skin super crispy and delicious. It's important to use baking powder and not baking soda as baking soda will only leave an unpleasant taste. Using baking powder is my favorite method to make air fryer chicken wings crispy as it's such a simple ingredient to add.
If you decide to make your own Cajun seasoning, you'll need the following ingredients (you'll find a detailed recipe in the recipe box at the end of this post).
- Paprika powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
How to make air fryer cajun wings
Prepare the seasoning. First, place all cajun seasoning ingredients and baking powder in a small bowl. Whisk until everything is combined.
Season the chicken wings. Next, pat the wings dry and place them in a bowl. Add the seasoning mix and toss until the wings are evenly covered.
Air fry the cajun chicken wings. Place the chicken wings in your preheated air fryer and air fry at 375 °F (190 °C) for 15-17 minutes until crispy and browned.
Serve the chicken wings. Serve the chicken wings with your favorite side dishes and dip. Enjoy!
Tips & Notes
- Use a homemade Cajun seasoning if possible. They usually taste better and you can adjust the flavor to your preferences. Plus, you can use it to make other Cajun-style dishes such as cashew cajun shrimp alfredo or spicy cajun shrimp pasta.
- Use more cayenne pepper to make the wings spicy. I love a little extra heat so I normally use more than the amount specified in the recipe box. If you are unsure, use a little less and adjust the recipe the next time you make these wings. 😉
- Be sure to use baking powder, not baking soda. The wings taste horrible when you use baking soda, so make sure to not switch them up!
- Pat the wings dry before using them. This ensures that they turn out crispy and delicious.
- Make sure the seasoning is rubbed in properly. If it's not rubbed in, it can burn while the wings are in the air fryer. I've been there and it's not fun. 🥲
- Place the wings with the skin side up in your air fryer and don't shake the basket. I've tried all kinds of methods (my family loves chicken wings, so I've had plenty of opportunities to test things 😄) and the wings turn out perfect when the skin side is looking up the whole time. While air frying, the basket becomes quite oily, and letting the skin touch the oil makes it soft again. Just try it out and I'm sure you'll love the results!
How to serve air fryer cajun wings
- Prepare a delicious potato salad. I love to enjoy chicken wings with a delicious potato salad to turn them into a full meal. I recommend giving this dill pickle potato salad, German potato salad, or herbed mustard potato salad a try!
- Make a quick side salad with fresh vegetables. If you want to add more vegetables to your meal, you can make a quick side salad with a simple balsamic vinaigrette. I love the one I used in my sweet potato salad for most of my salads.
- Make fries or other crispy potatoes. Crispy smashed potatoes are an absolute favorite of mine! I also recommend trying batata harra (spicy potatoes) or fried potatoes and onions.
- Serve a dip alongside the wings. I'm pretty basic as I always go for ketchup but a ranch dip would taste great with these wings!
Frequently Asked Questions
It's slightly spicy, depending on the seasoning you use. The homemade seasoning you'll find in the recipe box below is only a tiny bit spicy. If you want to make the wings very mild, just skip the cayenne pepper and use sweet paprika powder.
No, you need to use baking powder. Other people have also used cornstarch successfully. I'd recommend sticking with baking powder for the best results!
No, it's not necessary and when you use too much oil, the wings won't crisp up. Just skip the oil and you'll love the final chicken wings!
It's actually very easy to make super crispy wings in the air fryer. Make sure to use baking powder and salt, place them with the skin side up in the basket, and don't shake the basket. That's how your wings will always turn out perfectly crispy!
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, place them in your air fryer and air fry for a few minutes until hot and crispy again.
More simple and delicious chicken recipes
If you love dishes that feature juicy and tender chicken that is deliciously seasoned, be sure to check out the following recipes.
- Gochujang Chicken Wings
- Chicken Patties
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Honey Sriracha Wings
- Shredded Chicken Tacos
Air Fryer Cajun Wings
- 1 air fryer
- 1 pound chicken wings wingette and drumette separated
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning homemade (see recipe below) or store-bought
- 1 teaspoon baking powder aluminum-free
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional) use only if not included in Cajun seasoning
Homemade Cajun Seasoning (Optional)
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 °F (190°C).
- In the meantime, whisk together the Cajun wing seasoning (or use store-bought Cajun seasoning) and baking powder.1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon paprika powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon dried oregano, ¼ teaspoon dried thyme, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Next, pat the wings dry and place them in a large mixing bowl. Add the Cajun seasoning, toss, and rub the seasoning in until combined.1 pound chicken wings
- Place the wings in the air fryer basket with the skin side up in a single layer and air fry them for 15-17 minutes until crispy and browned without shaking the basket.
- Serve with your favorite dip or side dishes of your choice. Enjoy!